The Spider and the Fly

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some shots I took on a recent California trip...

CASpider1.jpg

cafly1.jpg

CA-Spider-2.jpg

Great angle on #1! Especially since it's on its web. Looks like it's eating something too. :D

With #2, I find there isn't really a point of interest in the image. The top down view doesn't do much for the fly and much of it is off the frame as well, without any particular detail being singled out. The background is also pretty bland. I find the lighting pretty harsh and it causes much of the detail to be lost as well, especially on the top of the head.

I rather like #3 for its colours. Especially how the background darkens around the edges in many places. Like natural vignetting! It might have been nice if there was a bit more DoF so the second joints of the spider's front legs were in focus too.

Great angle on #1! Especially since it's on its web. Looks like it's eating something too. :D

With #2, I find there isn't really a point of interest in the image. The top down view doesn't do much for the fly and much of it is off the frame as well, without any particular detail being singled out. The background is also pretty bland. I find the lighting pretty harsh and it causes much of the detail to be lost as well, especially on the top of the head.

I rather like #3 for its colours. Especially how the background darkens around the edges in many places. Like natural vignetting! It might have been nice if there was a bit more DoF so the second joints of the spider's front legs were in focus too.

#2 was meant to emphasize the Eye! But it looks like web compression killed the detail there.. same shot is on my Flickr in 1024... better view. Cropping was intentional.

Last edited:
#2 was meant to emphasize the Eye! But it looks like web compression killed the detail there.. same shot is on my Flickr in 1024... better view. Cropping was intentional.

It does look better at the higher resolution. I still find the eye detail to be a bit small in the frame as the focal point, but I get the idea now. :D

The first shots in this thread were done my my Tokina 100 Macro lens. The following shots were done with my Nikkor 28-300 Zoom.. at 300mm. I couldn't get any closer to the spiders, so had to use what I had available. There has been some debate about the sharpness of this lens.. what do you think?

shot at F22.. at about six feet... still not enough DOF to get the whole spider!
CA-SP-300-1.jpg

Shot at F25... at about 8 feet. Has a bit of diffractions softness.. but not to bad.
CA-SP-300-2.jpg

I think the detail in #1 of the new spiders is pretty spectacular considering the lens and aperture used. Looks rather sharp to me!

Thanks, Buckster! I do enjoy the 8 legged kind! lol!

#1 of the first set is the way to go. Great "menace" factor. Neutral background works well with the warm colors of the spider. Focus is right on and DOF is good. "Spot lighting" effect is neat too - all gives great depth and character to the image. The rest of the images are... Did I tell you I like #1 of the first set?

#1 of the first set is the way to go. Great "menace" factor. Neutral background works well with the warm colors of the spider. Focus is right on and DOF is good. "Spot lighting" effect is neat too - all gives great depth and character to the image. The rest of the images are... Did I tell you I like #1 of the first set?

:p!!!!!!!!! Yes.... I agree that is the best of the bunch! That is why it was first! lol!

The last two were just demonstrations that you don't have to have a macro lens to get decent closeups of insects.... more than anything else!

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back