The Staggering Collapse of the Camera Market

I think many underestimate the costs of higher end processors to achieve all those fancy in-camera features whilst at the same time also being able to dump/hold all that info to take photos in an instant and process those photos whilst not slowing up other functions. Sure we could likely produce such a machine but its production cost would likely go up significantly (don't forget mobile phones are oft sold on contract as a loss with the profit being in how much you pay for your account/phone use) with little to no gain for actual photography.

Alongside that more features (esp things like wi-fi) drain on the battery so again we see a desire to hold back and wait for battery tech.

It will likely happen; probably in entry level at first and we are already seeing built in wi-fi as a feature now. However it will not be fast in happening

ah yes, here's was Samsung's attempt at it a few years ago
Samsung Galaxy Camera 3G & Wi-Fi 4.8" | 16.3MP 21x Zoom

neat camera with Wifi back then. But it never caught on for some reason.

My d750 has Wifi. But there is really no interface to manipulate an image. I can see how it could use the Cell access from my cell phone rather than download, edit then upload on the cell. But they would have to improve the LCD, and improve the editing buttons(?) on the camera too.

Honestly I'd rather have wi-fi and no in-camera editing magics and then if I wanted to edit have some fancy transfer to tablet feature through the wi-fi. Because a DSLR screen is always going to be small no matter how high its resolution. Even with good eyesight you can't do more than something as simple as global black and white - far better to have shots ported to a tablet app that can read and process RAWs and JPEGs and then use that to do any quick editing.

Yes yes, doom, gloom.. DSLR's are dead despite all the billions that are still being made by the companies that make them.

Yawn.
You mean Billions LOST. The camera companies are bleeding money.

I think many underestimate the costs of higher end processors to achieve all those fancy in-camera features whilst at the same time also being able to dump/hold all that info to take photos in an instant and process those photos whilst not slowing up other functions. Sure we could likely produce such a machine but its production cost would likely go up significantly (don't forget mobile phones are oft sold on contract as a loss with the profit being in how much you pay for your account/phone use) with little to no gain for actual photography.

Alongside that more features (esp things like wi-fi) drain on the battery so again we see a desire to hold back and wait for battery tech.

It will likely happen; probably in entry level at first and we are already seeing built in wi-fi as a feature now. However it will not be fast in happening

Honestly I don't see any of that being useful in regards to a DSLR. The whole point, for me at least, is that I want high quality, finished images. Which means before I share anything anywhere, I am going to want to process them properly in a full blown application like light room or photoshop. I'm going to want to crop them and adjust them for proper composition, white balance, etc, etc, etc...

Once there on my computer, I can edit them and share them just fine. I don't really need all that battery wasting crap built into my camera, I'd never use it anyway.

No, there not.

If you had a business that was making 10 billion last year, and it's only making 5 billion this year, that doesn't mean your business is a failure.

It just means your not doing as well this year as you were last year. Markets fluctuate, things change. But you know what, I'd be just fine if I was in charge of a company that was still making 5 billion in a down economy.

Nikon, Canon, etc... are still making money from selling DSLRs. Lots of money. That's the point that everyone seems to completely miss when crap like this is posted.

Yes yes, doom, gloom.. DSLR's are dead despite all the billions that are still being made by the companies that make them.

Yawn.
Nikon made $421,989,443.00 last year. I should bleed so good. :biglaugh:
Which is a mere half of what they made 11 years ago. And it's ¥ not $
You use the yen do you? That is in Dollars. Read the Nikon financial report and convert the listed 43.4 billion yen in corporate earnings into dollars. Their net sales was 857 billion yen or $8,334,174,367 dollars.

personal drone photography is where its at. follows with camera attached. can get some great angles

personal drone photography is where its at. follows with camera attached. can get some great angles
Laughing.gif

View attachment 128389
Go ahead and laugh it up. Can't hold back change old timer.
You have a far to simplistic view of photography. How many weddings have you done with your drone. How many corporate shoots, product shoots, portraits shoots? This isn't change, it's a new toy for those like you and a piece of work equipment for the business in the service industries. It won't replace the typical forms of photography.

View attachment 128389
You have a far to simplistic view of photography. How many weddings have you done with your drone. How many corporate shoots, product shoots, portraits shoots? This isn't change, it's a new toy for those like you and a piece of work equipment for the business in the service industries. It won't replace the typical forms of photography.
Same argument i heard when digital cameras started to come out.

View attachment 128389
Same argument i heard when digital cameras started to come out.
facepalm-cat.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back