My story...if i had one is...what you see is what you get! One lady complained I don't give captions with my pix. I don't like giving my pix names or having to explain them. If they wont stand up by themselves they are a failure. OK, you want to give the local, fine. But if you need a whole paragraph to make a pix fly...it has problems.
I don't question people much when I would shoot em. I may ask or not ask to shoot. I shoot and leave. Others may do it different, but that is me.
I have no great stories...well maybe a few small tidbits. I will try to remember some details.
I just walk round with a cam and shoot what interests me. I cross the street and see a squished pigeon...I shoot it. I don't think a lot, I see...I shoot.
I see a guy on the street, ask him if I can shoot him in his apt, he says yes...I shoot him. Only light was the window and a bare lightbulb on the ceiling. This guy was interesting. An old merchant marine with shrunken head in the window! Almost 40 years ago...can't remember anything else.
Was out early AM, still dark out. I saw a guy in the alley, I shoot him.
When I came home to develop, I dropped the hand loaded film can and the lid popped off. Luckily this image was the last shot and it did not get fogged. Outer film layers saved the inner film...lucky for me!
BTW...No auto focus and auto exposure back then...we did it with 1 or 2 shots...and had to guess at the exposure!
You other crusters (and some young guys) remember how it was...and some of you are still in the stone age no doubt with the changing bag, ferrotype plate, Dektol and D-76. The poor togs they got nowadays complain their auto focus does not work right...poor, poor togs!
It is getting late and am going home for dinner...I see some guy who does not have a home...I shoot him. The story here is this. 40 years ago I took a bed for granted. Now i don't. Other story is this image was lost till a month ago. Forgot I had it until scanning some old negs. Had not seen it for 40 years.
I meet a guy by chance that likes to dress up like a lady. I ask him if I can take some shots, he says yes...so I shoot him. Can't remember his name. I wish I had taken some notes...that is the story of this pix.
After shooting this guy I went up to a beat cop accross the street. I asked if I could shoot him, he said no and gave me a ticket for jaywalking! I try not to talk to cops any more.
The story behind this shot...I kept following this girl down the street with her baby sis blasting away. I took about 8 - 10 shots. All crappers except the last one! She never knew a thing! If I did it now they would think I'm a perv!
I was shooting an old stripper. The A/C broke and it was hot as hell inside. We went up on the roof and I shot her.
(Image removed - violates forum policy)
OK..guys and gals...you got a few stories!
Circa 1970's L.A. / Hassy SWC / Nikon F / Kodak and Ilford films