the things you didn't know were just next door!

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend and I hiked up to a waterfall today, not even half an hours drive away. I'd seen it on the map before, but never thought too much of it. It's in a bit of a flat, dry area and I didn't think it'd be too impressive, especially not at this time of year. Wondered if I should even bring the camera since it was just past noon and the lighting would be terrible, but of course I did anyways. Just figured it would be good to get out of the house and take the dogs for a walk. Boy was I wrong, the trail in was pretty nice and it brought us to a really narrow canyon that the waterfall cascaded down. About 200 feet in all, it said, but it was hard to capture in a single photograph or even see at the same time. This will definitely be a hike to repeat though!

Deserters Creek Falls by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Deserters Creek Falls by Steve Dinicol, on Flickr

Hell yeah some long exposures would be awesome there!

Hell yeah some long exposures would be awesome there!

Yes they would, but unfortunately limited space for a tripod! It's a lot of climbing around steep rock faces, took me a few trips back and forth to get to know the holds and build up enough confidence to do it with my camera (and another trip for the tripod). A fall would put you deep in the water!

Couldn't find a decent spot where you can see the upper portion of the falls from. I threw away a bunch of shaky handheld shots.

A little too bright in areas, horizon line a bit off kilter...anyway, had a play with it. Neat place, it seems...I'd like to visit there.

$9604075972_206ed7fae0_o.jpg

A little too bright in areas, horizon line a bit off kilter...anyway, had a play with it. Neat place, it seems...I'd like to visit there.

View attachment 53794

Very neat place, I'm going to have to go back on a weekday at some point. The day was partly cloudy, so the light kept changing. I chose this one because the waterfall was illuminated the best, and when it wasn't other details drew too much attention away from it. I wanted to stay longer and keep trying, but some people showed up and were in the shot ... it was the right time to leave anyways, we'd been there alone for an hour and a half but came across 25+ people on the trail on our way out!

And yes I agree, it is a bit off kilter. I already fixed it a bit, but was worried I would cut off the top of the arch at the top if I straightened it more. Ceeboy, your edit looks nice and straight and you didn't cut off too much from the top. It was pretty tricky to set up that shot because I was backed right up against the other side of the canyon, with the tripod resting on some uneven rocks. Didn't even have enough room to look through the viewfinder, I just put it in live view and did my best with that.

I think my best option will be to just go back to the falls and give it another go since it's so close...

That second composition is really neat! I think you should definitely get back there when the lights not so harsh and get an even longer exposure to try and light up the bottom of the arch etc. I also like the swirl effect in the foreground water.. Nice find!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back