The Three Horsemen Of The Mountain

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The carving into Stone Mountain, is the largest high relief sculpture in the world, the Confederate Memorial Carving, depicts three Confederate figures of the Civil War, President Jefferson Davis and Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The entire carved surface measures three-acres, larger than a football field and Mount Rushmore. The carving of the three men towers 400 feet above the ground, measures 90 by 190 feet, and is recessed 42 feet into the mountain. The deepest point of the carving is at Lee's elbow, which is 12 feet to the mountain's surface.

The Three Horsemen Of The Mounatian by William Raber, on Flickr

Nice capture. I hadn't even known this existed, thanks for sharing. With all of the pc silliness going on regarding civil war monuments it's probably good to get pics while you can before history is completely erased.

Nice capture. I hadn't even known this existed, thanks for sharing. With all of the pc silliness going on regarding civil war monuments it's probably good to get pics while you can before history is completely erased.

Thank you. There's been some dissent on it over the last year. Everything from blasting it off the mountain to adding to it. It's shear size for now is it's salvation, because any change at this point would cost millions.

Most reactions

Back