Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Umbrella Maker - Pindaya, Shan State, Myanmar

p1473120172-5.jpg

All your photos seem to have the same palate. Is it a particular setting or process? Or is it just the camera?

All your photos seem to have the same palate. Is it a particular setting or process? Or is it just the camera?

I have a definite weakness for deeply saturated colors that are rich in the red-brown tones and I aim for that.
This is compounded by the colors of Southeast Asia. Those areas are very rich in laterite which gives all the dust and surfaces that accumulate dust a reddish brown tone.
In processing I depress the real bright areas enough to get texture in them.
Once the tones (bright and dark) are OK, then I often do a fair amount of selective local contrast enhancement.
Then, once I get an image that looks overall like I want, I will use a curves layer and pull the curve down enough to enrich the middle tones either for entire image or just parts.
I even sometimes use Noiseware to blur a little too-sharp image and give that rich luminous look.

I rarely use the contrast slider or exposure layer and always prefer a curve layer.
I will often use two curves layers. After I fix the contrast with the initial curves layer, I will have some sort of a curve that can't be manipulated easily.
Then the second curve layer will give me a straight line again that I can 'pull' to get richness (as described above)
I always merge all the edits to a new top layer, then turn off the intermediate adjustment layers, so I can click the final top layer on and off to see if the total change is what I want.

I even sometime add a bit of red saturation to give it that hot look. (look at this and you can see the added red)
It's all by taste and really ad hoc with no consistent recipe.

That may be much more of an answer than you wanted.

Attachments

• $umbrellahisto.jpg
    $umbrellahisto.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 145
Amazing. I'm a big fan of your photos.

Thanks
Send money.

Or, if you are an attractive female with no scruples, poor judgement and lousy taste in men, just keep on saying nice things.
I need to feed my fantasy life.

Another great shot. Enjoying the trip though you images.

I have a definite weakness for deeply saturated colors that are rich in the red-brown tones and I aim for that.
This is compounded by the colors of Southeast Asia. Those areas are very rich in laterite which gives all the dust and surfaces that accumulate dust a reddish brown tone.
In processing I depress the real bright areas enough to get texture in them.
Once the tones (bright and dark) are OK, then I often do a fair amount of selective local contrast enhancement.
Then, once I get an image that looks overall like I want, I will use a curves layer and pull the curve down enough to enrich the middle tones either for entire image or just parts.
I even sometimes use Noiseware to blur a little too-sharp image and give that rich luminous look.

I rarely use the contrast slider or exposure layer and always prefer a curve layer.
I will often use two curves layers. After I fix the contrast with the initial curves layer, I will have some sort of a curve that can't be manipulated easily.
Then the second curve layer will give me a straight line again that I can 'pull' to get richness (as described above)
I always merge all the edits to a new top layer, then turn off the intermediate adjustment layers, so I can click the final top layer on and off to see if the total change is what I want.

I even sometime add a bit of red saturation to give it that hot look. (look at this and you can see the added red)
It's all by taste and really ad hoc with no consistent recipe.

That may be much more of an answer than you wanted.

No that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Lew, I love the way you captured the light and the way it wraps around the women. The only niggle I have is the plastic white jar at the left of the frame - if it was cropped out, I don't think the image will suffer greatly.

Ok after looking more I feel like the shadow could be darker and that saturation is too low. I made a quick edit but I cannot post it with out your permission.

Lew, I love the way you captured the light and the way it wraps around the women. The only niggle I have is the plastic white jar at the left of the frame - if it was cropped out, I don't think the image will suffer greatly.

I will edit to darken it. If I crop it will take it out of standard aspect ratio or chop that lady's head.

Ok after looking more I feel like the shadow could be darker and that saturation is too low. I made a quick edit but I cannot post it with out your permission.

Send me your email by PM and later today I will send you a large image to try editing.

Lew

Most reactions

Back