The Zoo With A Cheapo Point & Shoot

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these pictures with a $240 point & shoot camera (Canon A710 IS) with a modest 6x zoom on June 30, 2007 at the St. Louis Zoo.

I shot them specifically to show some friends that one doesn't need $10,000 of cameras and lenses to take some decent pictures of animals. I only used iPhoto to organize the pictures and crop a couple of them.

This was only the second time I have ever shot pictures with this camera. The only real problem the camera had was with white balance in the "Red Rocks" area of the zoo, it started shooting way too warm. The screen on this camera isn't really clear enough to tell, so a few shots are too red. Yes, I could fix it in PS, but that isn't the point... the point is to see what can be done with totally consumer grade software and hardware.

I used a lot more flash than normal, because of the hideous noise this camera has at high ISO (it is REALLY bad).

I know I could do a much better job if I did this again, now that I have a better idea of how the camera actually works... even though with such a modest zoom, this is NOT the camera I would actually pick for this work in the point and shoot family... I would get something like the Canon S3 IS instead with its 12X zoom.

Here is a link to the webpage with my point and shoot pictures:

Point & Shoot Page at zoopictures.net

Here are few examples:

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

Your totally right. people think that to get good pictures they need an expensive camera ( the advertising is doing its job :)) but they dont. it really all depends on who your audience is. if its you your friends and family, then a $300 point and shoot will do great, but if you intend to sell poster size of a cheetah in the wild @ 600mm... then you would need the best kind of equipment....

I love the aquarium shot and the crocs picture, but I think the aquarium would be even better if the people were fully silouetted and the crocs would be better if you crop it to just the two looking at the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back