What's new

There was quite some activity tonight.

I see the date in your copyright watermark, and I notice you are from the future. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Jokes aside, sweet pics. Surely these weren't taken with just a 18-55 kit lens?
 
. only hope to one day see the northern lights and take wonderful shots like these. Did you use a off camera flash to keep the northern lights and light the lighthouse at the same time?
 
The second one is much better, I think. I love the red/green contrast and I love the fact that the line of the lights doesn't interfere with the line of the lighthouse.
 
I see the date in your copyright watermark, and I notice you are from the future. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Jokes aside, sweet pics. Surely these weren't taken with just a 18-55 kit lens?

Thanks, yes i am from the future hehe. As a matter of fact those are taken on the kit lens, you should be able to see the exif for the second pic here just scroll little bit down to see lens. Exif | Iceland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I still want to try a more open lens like F2.8 or even more to get them brighter on a shorter time. those are both Manual 41 sec F4 and iso400 and picture style auto, wb on tungsten. I however have seen awesome pics shot on 13 to 18 secs and of course with a brighter lens. But i am happy i finally got me some pics i really like. :) thanks again.
 
IceCan, I love that second shot! Seeing the Northern Lights is definitely on my bucket list--you've captured them well and picked a nice spot to do it.

IF this were MY picture, I think I might crop the right side a little, so that the rocks in the foreground meet the bottom right corner of the photo, maybe even about halfway into that first rock. That will bring the lighthouse over towards the right side and--I think--make the composition a little stronger. Or else it won't and I'm wrong. That's happened before. :lol:
 
IceCan, I love that second shot! Seeing the Northern Lights is definitely on my bucket list--you've captured them well and picked a nice spot to do it.

IF this were MY picture, I think I might crop the right side a little, so that the rocks in the foreground meet the bottom right corner of the photo, maybe even about halfway into that first rock. That will bring the lighthouse over towards the right side and--I think--make the composition a little stronger. Or else it won't and I'm wrong. That's happened before. :lol:

Thanks for the advise, I am no expert in those editing programs to be honest and those are just raw files opened with photoshop and saved to jpeg for upload to flickr, sooc i guess it's called. But i am going to try. :)
 
Noice! I miss living in Alaska, ugh! Do you guys get the purple nights in Iceland? Where the sky is lit up and bright purple?
 
Noice! I miss living in Alaska, ugh! Do you guys get the purple nights in Iceland? Where the sky is lit up and bright purple?

Yes i have seen pics taken here with purple sky and the aurora looked like blend of 3 colors green,red and violet. or something like that.
 
. only hope to one day see the northern lights and take wonderful shots like these. Did you use a off camera flash to keep the northern lights and light the lighthouse at the same time?

Thanks, no flash was used,
 
I agree with Sharon, and might go even further. The second is just screaming for a square crop. Get going on the editing - you have to at least be able to crop your images.
 
How is this crop ?

IMG_0704.jpg
 
Nicely done!

Aurora always freaked me out a little bit. They're basically the largest things I have ever seen where I could kind of grasp how big they *are*. I mean, the sun and stars and moon are much bigger, but they're also just little spots in the sky. Aurora are right here, and you (well, I) can feel the vastness of them. They make me feel very very very small.
 
Nicely done!

Aurora always freaked me out a little bit. They're basically the largest things I have ever seen where I could kind of grasp how big they *are*. I mean, the sun and stars and moon are much bigger, but they're also just little spots in the sky. Aurora are right here, and you (well, I) can feel the vastness of them. They make me feel very very very small.

Thanks. I totally agree on that, I have been watching them since a young boy, we the kids just laid down in the grass and could watch for hours, It's a total shame though that i start to capture them when i am 40 years old lol.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom