There's something..

photo gal

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Planet Carolyn..Cool place....you should visit!
Website
www.lulu.com
about this that appeals to me........does it do anything for you?

candace%20hair.jpg

Thanks for lookin' : )

Its cool...she looks almost sad...thoughtful...;)c

Its a bit flat though, the shot could do with a boost...try adding a little contrast and see if it boosts it a bit.

Yep, it's doing a lot for me. ;) I love the close crop, and the POV here. It's a lovely, pensive moment. :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry too much with the contrast here. If you bump up too much you may compromise the skin tones, and the tip of her nose might stand out.

I think it's a lovely job! :)

I like the changes. I personally don't care for the the downward angle. That combined with her expression makes her look like she is in a bad place. If it were more level, I might interpret it as contemplative. That may very well be a conscious choice and what you want to show, I just don't usually care for that kind of photo.

Compare that to Lange's photo of the migrant mother, where the camera is eye level. It becomes more on equal terms. We are with her, rather than being above her.

It's a subtle change in position, but one that has a big impact on my viewing.

Carolyn, I think you did a great job with the slight bump in contrast. :thumbup: It's a big improvement.

Personally, I liked the first version better rather than this cropped one. It isn't bad, but I liked seeing the "extra" information, and she is also less centered in the first one.

And I totally appreciate what Mark is saying about the downward angle, but it simply doesn't bother me in this image. I like it. Personal preference! :)

photo gal said:
Thanks so much everbody!! : ) I love the example you gave mark......so more like this then??
That's an interesting example to pick. In that one, the camera is slightly below the subject, looking up. Not much, but just enough for me to think "worried mother". Sort of like I was the child asking, "What's wrong, Mom?" But yes, it has a very different feel for me.

In both cases you aren't that much above or below the subject, but because you are close to them, the angle becomes more exagerated. It wouldn't be as noticable with a longer lens, since you would be further back.

terri said:
Personally, I liked the first version better rather than this cropped one. It isn't bad, but I liked seeing the "extra" information, and she is also less centered in the first one.
I see what you mean, Teri. It she is more centered. I guess the reason I didn't care for the first crop is that with her looking off the frame and the angle she's at, the side of her face with all the hair is what's facing the viewer. It adds to that dejected look. That's great if that's what what intended, but the crop has her looking more into the frame, which I find more pleasing for a general portrait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back