What's new

They poured concrete...I grabbed a camera

..... I have never actually seen concrete poured before...
can you please explain me how is that possible?
I'm not kidding, I'm curious
 
can you please explain me how is that possible?
I'm not kidding, I'm curious

Well, I have never had any work done on my house where I needed concrete nor have I been around much construction to see it done before.
 
Cement is more-or-less de-hydrated limestone. Mixing the anhydrous powder with sand and gravel then creates the more-or-less liquid mix that is poured (or shovelled, or pumped - depending on the exact mix) into forms to create the cement object. The re-hydration process will take about 7 days (at which point the cement is usually strong enough to support weight), but the actual rehydration process continues for weeks.
 
Cement is more-or-less de-hydrated limestone. Mixing the anhydrous powder with sand and gravel then creates the more-or-less liquid mix that is poured (or shovelled, or pumped - depending on the exact mix) into forms to create the cement object. The re-hydration process will take about 7 days (at which point the cement is usually strong enough to support weight), but the actual rehydration process continues for weeks.


I assume that's why they tell you to water it like a lawn everyday?
 
I used to drive a concrete mixer. Some chemicals can be added to help it cure faster. In Iowa during the winter it gets poured with calcium carbonate added ( ice melt). That heats it up and dries it out. Interesting not! Good work shots though.
 
I assume that's why they tell you to water it like a lawn everyday?
If the surface dries out prematurely, before the hydration is fully complete, it will form a different compound which is fragile, and will break off from the main surface under pressure or temperature change. In other words it will crack, flake, chip and break away. In hot places the surface is often also covered by wet fabric to reduce the evaporation rate.
 
I've help lay concrete a few times, it is a ton of work!

You should get those shramed and give to them, you should continue taking photos as you set it up, that way they have a full start to finish!
 
I've help lay concrete a few times, it is a ton of work!

You should get those shramed and give to them, you should continue taking photos as you set it up, that way they have a full start to finish!
I am hoping to be able to....it's going up this week and I'll be working. I'm starting to feel a cold coming on ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have never actually seen concrete poured before, so I thought it was pretty cool.

The extraordinarily high slump and lack of large aggregate might be a function of pumping, although they do things differently in Florida. This is not the kind of concrete that I would use anywhere in Iowa for any purpose.
 
The extraordinarily high slump and lack of large aggregate might be a function of pumping, although they do things differently in Florida. This is not the kind of concrete that I would use anywhere in Iowa for any purpose.
I do believe they had to use the small pebbles since it was being pumped to the back of the house. I overheard something like that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The extraordinarily high slump and lack of large aggregate might be a function of pumping, although they do things differently in Florida. This is not the kind of concrete that I would use anywhere in Iowa for any purpose.
You can get away with a lot when you don't have to consider the freeze-thaw cycle and the ground shift that accompanies that.
 
I do believe they had to use the small pebbles since it was being pumped to the back of the house. I overheard something like that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the pumper. Around here, they pump regular concrete with no problems.
 
Yes, as with many things in life, it depends on the pumper... *nods sagely*
 
I am hoping to be able to....it's going up this week and I'll be working. I'm starting to feel a cold coming on ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sound really sick to me! ;)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom