Things Happen - Dropped a D3S yesterday

BlairWright

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dcweddingphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was a bit of a nightmare, a Black Rapid strap clasp failed yesterday and we lost a Nikon D3S, it's still functional but the metering switch is now broken so it needs to go back to Nikon for a magnesium body replacement.

If your interested in reading about gear and Disaster recovery there is more on it here:

Gear sometimes breaks: An essay about paranoia and backup equipment | Ellicott City Wedding Photography, Ellicott City Wedding Photographers, Ellicott City Portrait Photographer, Ellicott City Portrait Studio, Wedding Photojournalism in Maryland

Ouch! Thats why I'm scared to use my BR RS-7 now a days. especially when I recieve my D4, I wont even touch my RS7 anymore.

Do you have a picture of the failed clasp?

To prevent that from happening, some put a tie wrap, or some other similar backup, through the D-ring on the camera and the strap itself or where the strap goes through the clip body above the swivel.

IMO the R-7 looks so insecure to begin with I cannot fathom why one would use them to hold heavy or expensive equipment. Screwing into the tripod socket alone is just as secure as using hollow plastic clasps... What if the camera swings around or otherwise loosens the tripod screw head?

No picture, the clasp unscrewed and released; I Googled this and it's not common but happens. I do still trust the straps, I have used them for a couple years without issue now. BR is a good product IMO.

KmH - I still use the BR straps but I'll be adding a zip tie and gaffer tape on them to ensure this does not happen again. This one will be costly, the entire body will need to be replaced.

Unfortunately this occurred in front of Ryan Brenizer during one of his classes so 30 people saw it happen. A couple of them mentioned that this happened to them too.

Could have been worse, at least it didn't split apart like my D700.

For the record I used RS-2 straps with the original attachment to the camera and strap hook.

I learned about not relying on a single point of attachment from my experiences with rock and ice climbing.

Hate to hear it!
I have had 2 RS7 straps for sometime holding my heaviest setup with no problems... Just wanted to give a good report with all these negative ones.

I will however check the clasp more often now.

and I was just about to purchase an rs-4. :( sorry to hear that

So....it unscrewed from the body or the little caribeaner failed? I always torque mine down pretty good but damn...wonder how much a new shell is???

The Carry Speed strap has a little backup strap that connects a camera lug to the (non-opening) metal attachment that goes between the strap and the plate that screws into the tripod socket. I thought it was just soothing my paranoia about things coming loose, but apparently not. You also don't lose a tripod socket with the Carry Speed, because the plate/connection has its own tripod socket.

So....it unscrewed from the body or the little caribeaner failed? I always torque mine down pretty good but damn...wonder how much a new shell is???

It unscrewed from the body. The issue is that with heavy gear the closure does not rotate well against the connector on the strap side; it actually binds enough to unscrew the mount from the body regardless of how much you tighten it. I have 4 RS-7 Straps and this only gets bad with a D3/4 body and a 70-200 on the body. The thing that really sucks about this is that a 25 cent roller bearing on the clip to strap mount would have prevented this. Now I'm looking at an insurance claim (which I hope is not rejected). Nothing against Black Rapid, they have a great product but I will be writing them to see if they would consider adding a roller bearing.

Most reactions

Back