Things to bring for ski/snowboard shooting?

Rockadile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on bringing my D3100 with kit lens to the mountain resort for the first time but I don't have any equipment. What should I buy to be prepared?

Bag: I'm planning on getting the Think Tank Speed Demon.
Lens: Rent Nikon 10-24mm and/or fast zoom lens?
Filter & lens hood: Do I need any?
Battery: Probably buy an extra due to cold temperature

My main concern is condensation and snow/rain getting on the lens and camera. I will put in and take out the camera from the Speed Demon whenever I shoot and than seal the camera in a ziploc bag when going in the lodge. For snow/rain I don't know what to do. Just don't shoot?

Do you have someone to model for you or just taking shots of other skiers?

your correct, bring a spare battery!
10 seems kind of wide, Id want a fast zoom unless your planning on being really close to your subject.
I would bring a hood. Perhaps a polarizer depending on the light / shutter speed you require.

Do you have someone to model for you or just taking shots of other skiers?

your correct, bring a spare battery!
10 seems kind of wide, Id want a fast zoom unless your planning on being really close to your subject.
I would bring a hood. Perhaps a polarizer depending on the light / shutter speed you require.
I'll be going with a group of friends.
I was thinking of using wide angle for tricks and portraits.

The super wide is going to also be a distortion issue for portraits. Think the dog pictures with the giant nose...

YES you definitely need a hood. Especially in the snow as the angles at which light reflects across the lens will cause all kinds of lens flare problems. You probably are going to want an ND filter as well.
As for the concern about wet you are on the right track. Get yourself a rain sleeve. Anything from the plastic toss away ones to the good insulated ones will help. I'd want an insulated one when skiing, but budget may not allow... Buy Camera and Lens Rain & Snow Covers | Adorama, the Photography People

Get at least a couple extra batteries. Keep the spares on you, inside your outer layer (inside jacket pocket etc).

Go with a backpack to carry your gear. That bag will be very awkward.

I assume you are taking skis.

skieur

Do you have a plain UV filter on your lens for protection? If not, I suggest getting one.

Sun screen and sunglasses/goggles. No joke. At high altitude on a sunny day the sun will be very intense and the snow will reflect a lot of radiation that normally would be absorbed, so make sure you protect any exposed skin (face) and your eyes.

I have found that good quality polarizers are useful in snow, if not more-so than UV filters.

I already ordered the bag, rain-sleeve, and battery. I've seen some skiers wearing belt bags and I like them too. It can also turn into a shoulder bag.

I'll use a hood but do I really need to use a filter?

Not planning on riding and shooting during the same day so I will just pick depending on weather. Season pass!

As for sunglasses/goggles, you take them off when using the viewfinder right?

I already ordered the bag, rain-sleeve, and battery. I've seen some skiers wearing belt bags and I like them too. It can also turn into a shoulder bag.

I'll use a hood but do I really need to use a filter?

Not planning on riding and shooting during the same day so I will just pick depending on weather. Season pass!

As for sunglasses/goggles, you take them off when using the viewfinder right?

How are you getting into position without riding? Small mountain?

Sometimes you take off your glasses to line it up, sometimes not. Cruddy answer but its the truth. Your glasses should be polarizing to save your eyes, so if you use a polarizer on the front of your lens (which you should to cut down on glare) then you will need to take your glasses off to adjust it. Then you can usually keep them on until you switch camera location / orientation. Shoot a tad wide and be prepared to crop a bit to make sure the action isnt transitioning out of frame. Snow is fun, but shoot in RAW so you can adjust your white balance later (dont want it all gray).

I was planning on walking up to the freestyle park but that may not be allowed :lol:
Guess I'll use the lift and ride down to position.

Call ahead, if they do not permit it, see if you can get permission, you'll want to speak with a manager right off, otherwise the manager will just reiterate what the employee said out of respect - make sure they know you would only be walking in that area and you're willing to wear an orange vest or something.

Likely if it's not permitted, it would be an insurance thing and it's out of their hands.

Most reactions

Back