Think 5 grand was a lot for a camera?

£5k is a lot for a camera, but may be justified in some cases. Leicas have always been excessive expensive IMO.

Some how I can't see me ever spending £100k on a camera, but I guess with all the bodies/lenses & other gear I've brought I could be more than 10% of the way there in total.:icon_eek:

Sometimes the market value can be influenced by factors that have nothing to do with intrinsic value. For example in the last few years two "backup" putters used by Tiger Woods sold for big money at auction. Even though they were never actually used in competition, one sold for $44k and the other for $60k.

I guess a purchase like this is more for the investment value, like top end classic cars?

Or it takes a very imbalanced environment for anyone to be able to afford such an expensive paperweight - so I'm not surprised the buyer was from Asia.

I do wonder why and who is paying so much for these old cameras. I get some are collectable but to go for so much considering you can get similar used cameras for £500-£600. The mind boggles!

Mint condition.....

NO, NOT MINT. Nowhere near "mint", if the camera shown in the camera sold. The paint has worn through to the brass of the top deck and the bottom plate.

Mint condition.....

NO, NOT MINT. Nowhere near "mint", if the camera shown in the camera sold. The paint has worn through to the brass of the top deck and the bottom plate.

It was probably made that way for Lenny Kravitz's great grand father. Denny Kravitz, harpsichord player....

I guess a purchase like this is more for the investment value, like top end classic cars?.

Let's hope it doesn't work out like it did for the guy that paid over a million bucks for a 71 Hemi 'Cuda. A couple of years later the prices dropped quite a bit and now no one would consider paying that much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back