thinkin about switching

Looking at some of the responses on this thread I would add one thing:

When comparing like priced and specified cameras from Canon and Nikon, ignore the advice of anyone who steams in telling you that one camera is so far ahead of the other that there's no contest. This is almost without exception not the case. The more excitedly they big up one make the less reliable their advice.

Each model will have minor advantages in some areas and it's a matter of balancing these advantages with your own particular requirements.

Certainly disregard the advice of anyone who claims that one make of lenses are consistently better than the other's.

That is my advice.

Feel free to disregard it. :)

im going to find a cheap used film slr and try it out. i think i made the decision to switch, but its going to be awhile before i upgrade anyway.

another thing, is a light meter a good thing to have in film photography? its pretty hard for to guess exact settings and bracketing the whole roll of film seems crazy.

Just get a Nikon SLR with a light meter built-in. Film SLR's are absolutely dirt-cheap these days - the Nikon F100 that I have, that I would honestly compare to either the D300 or D700 and their $1700 - $3000 pricetags, only cost me $280 used, and that was through B&H - you might find a better deal on these forums or on eBay.

Best of luck :)

My suggestion: stick with Nikon. As everyone said, you are contradicting yourself. You're saying that Nikon's better (and I kinda agree) but you want to switch to Canon. It's stupid. Do you really want to move to (5DMII) a camera with far slower AF, far slower frame rate, more noise at High ISOs, somewhat inferior ergonomics, and (here comes the flamebait :p) ugly white lenses that look like they're from an overgrown P&S?

Save your money and stick with Nikon. All your DX lenses will work on FX cams too in crop mode. And you've already got at least on FX lens.

P.S. Film's great. I'm a Pentax guy and shoot a K1000. The solid mechanics feel so good... ahh I love the feeling of cocking the shutter, really I do. Buy an FA or FM and stick your 50mm on it and have fun. You don't really need a proper darkroom, you can just load your film into a tank in a [well light sealed double] black bag. Minilab processing isn't too bad either (actually its fine most of the time) and you can always send your film to a pro lab if you want pro quality results.

I think you're a little confused in your post.

You're a Nikon shooter, and you're considering switching to Canon. But you say that Nikons are "a hell of alot sturdier", with "mostly metal" versus "all plastic" and on 5DMKII, and finally conclude by mentioning rumors that Canons "have had alot of issues with their stuff breaking."

Whether half of the above is true or not, it sounds to me like your conceptions argue for you to stick with Nikon, rather than switch.

hahaha! I was kinda wondering the same. I mean if you think Canon bodies are such pieces of crap why do you want to upgrade to a Canon then? I have a Canon eos 40D with 17-85 kit lens and I am very happy with it I have walked around in rain with a 40D and got it all wet and it kept working perfectly and lately I have taken several outdoor pictures when it's -30 outside and nothing happened to it either. I believe all Canon dslrs except the digital Rebel series are made of magnesium alloy or something and not plastic :er:.

i think the low end canons feel cheap, i was messing with a 40d today and it seemed pretty solid.

the reason im thinking about switching is because i shoot landscapes 90 percent of the time, iso 50 would be nice, even 100.

more megapixels would be nice for larger prints

the white lenses arent ugly at all

and because im not good at explaining things doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.

when i bought my camera i didnt know much about them and my decision was based off what i seen everyone else using. i plan on upgrading, im not too deep in gear to lose much, i made my decision and thanks everyone for the help.

i think the low end canons feel cheap, i was messing with a 40d today and it seemed pretty solid.

the reason im thinking about switching is because i shoot landscapes 90 percent of the time, iso 50 would be nice, even 100.

more megapixels would be nice for larger prints

the white lenses arent ugly at all

and because im not good at explaining things doesnt mean i dont know what im talking about.

when i bought my camera i didnt know much about them and my decision was based off what i seen everyone else using. i plan on upgrading, im not too deep in gear to lose much, i made my decision and thanks everyone for the help.

Just because everone is using a certain camera does not make it right for you, i could make the same image no matter what make or camera it is

like i said one of the reasons i bought a nikon because most the people i knew had one, i think canon would be suited better for me, so when i upgrade im gonna buy a canon

I just bought a Canon 50D recently and love it so far. Was also considering the Nikon 300.

the reason i never considered a canon is because i thought it was hard to navigate through the settings, and the low end cameras seem cheaply made

All of the lower end cameras are a compromise. Though my D50 was more solid than my firends Canon at the same price point. Fact is so much so he traded it in for a D50 and, is still shooting with it. You say they are hard to navigate through the settings, yet you still plan on going to Canon. The higher up you go the more difficult those settings get. My head is spinning from reading this thread I must stop. :banghead:

All of the lower end cameras are a compromise. Though my D50 was more solid than my firends Canon at the same price point. Fact is so much so he traded it in for a D50 and, is still shooting with it. You say they are hard to navigate through the settings, yet you still plan on going to Canon. The higher up you go the more difficult those settings get. My head is spinning from reading this thread I must stop. :banghead:

i thought they were hard to navigate, im sure i could get used it within a week. i played with a students 40d in my class to make sure i really wanted a canon, and i went through all the settings and most of the functions and tried it out to make sure i really like it, and im sold.

The EOS 30D/40D/50D cameras have more buttons and dials than the Rebel cameras, which makes it easier to change settings.

However, Nikon's D90 or D300 would certainly be a viable upgrade from your D50. Once you're up to this level, you're beyond the small size of the entry-level Canons and the dearth of features of the entry-level Nikons.

just figured i would give an update. since i shoot landscapes more than half the time i decided to buy a canon film camera and traded my nikon 12-24mm in for a full frame canon wide angle. i still have my nikon digital for now until i can afford a used full frame canon digital.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back