What's new

Thinking about new equipment.

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Location
Homestead, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, after the first of the year I will have about 1600.00 +/- to invest in some new equipment.

What I currently have:
Nikon D200
Nikkor 80-200 f2.8
Nikkor 24 - 85 f2.8 - 4
Nikkor 300 f4
Nikkor 70 - 300 f 4 - 5.6
Nikon 1.4 teleconverter
Nikon SB-800 Flash
Manfrotto Tripod and ProBall ballhead.

What I am looking at
Nikon D300s
Nikkor 80 - 400 f4.5 - 5.6
NiKKor 105m Micro f2.8
Really Right Stuff Ballhead and a new tripod
Nikkor SB900

Any suggestions and basic reasons. I am a Landscape/nature/wildlife photographer but I now live just south of Miami (no majestic landscapes). I am considering moving into architecture and street photography to help fan the flames. I know this is a broad post but I want so much stuff but I only have a limited amount of funds. Thanks in advance for your advice.
 
Have you considered some wider glass? The widest you have seems to be a 24mm, if architecture is an interest you might get a lot of use from something in the 11-16mm range.
 
Are you selling all your gear and getting a whole new setup?

You have some great lenses, I would say just upgrade the body even though I normally go glass > Body. :lol:
 
I really want a new Body but I have the glass fixation too. I did not mention an 18 - 70 DX Nikkor lens in my previous post but I would not mind something wider. Another think I considered is a complete studio set up from Alien Bees....

SO MANY CHOICES!!!!!
 
No, I don't believe in selling photo equipment. :>)

I am a photo equipmentholic
 
I'd say go for the 105mm Nikkor macro lens. It lets you get into macro photography of bugs and flowers (nature and wildlife stuff) as well as any abstract interests. Further it doubles well as a portrait lens so would suit your ideas of moving toward some street photography.
You already have some lighting in your current flashhead - get something like a lumiquest softbox and you will be good to go in teh macro world


ps - -I might be a macroholic ;)
 
I would just caution you on SB900 being that review of it are SO amazing:puke:.
 
Given that you already have great glass, I'd upgrade to the D300s. The higher ISO performance alone will open up more possibilities for your photography.
 
mind asking which kind of ballhead tripod are good? sorry for the interuption :X
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom