Thinking about trading in my D40 ....

Personally, I think I would put that money into getting a D200, just because it has weather sealing and better durability.

What are the advantages of upgrading to d90 from d40?
Better low-light performance, better noise reduction, better metering, better AF, ability to AF non-AF-S lenses, better viewfinder, better LCD and liveview, more megapixels, scene recognition, active d-lighting, sensor cleaning, buttons on outside of body for major settings...

Just checked ebay and looks like some completed auctions haev gone from $300-$350. I could include my 55-200mm Lens and those auctions are $400-$450.

The 55-200VR is a fantastic little lens. Why are you wanting to sell it?

I use mine all the time (and I own a 70-200VR).

Yep, I'd really recommend it. Although, personally, I would probably wait until I could afford the D300, simply because it is pretty much a professional camera (yeah, yeah, it's "prosumer" technically). In my mind, the D90 still seems to be a bit of a big boy's toy.

Any version that lets you AF a non AFS lens is an upgrade from the D40. I went from a D40 to a D70 to a D300... D80 or 90 is a good upgrade. Big difference between the 80 and 90 though. If you can save for the 90, do it.

I should've kept my mouth shut a little while ago. I emailed the camera store to see if they have the D90. They said they did and it was $99.99. I emailed them back asking if that was the right prices. If it was I was going to drive the 2 hours to go there. Unfortunately he replied back saying it was $999.99.

I won't be going there any time soon.

I should've kept my mouth shut a little while ago. I emailed the camera store to see if they have the D90. They said they did and it was $99.99. I emailed them back asking if that was the right prices. If it was I was going to drive the 2 hours to go there. Unfortunately he replied back saying it was $999.99.

I won't be going there any time soon.
sounds like an honest typo to me :wink:

The d90 is also faster than the d40, plus a higher megapixel. It has a video mode if that's your kind of thing. The standard lens that comes with it is a VR 18-105, great lens. Definitely go for it, it's an upgrade you will not regret and will make me jealous

The d90 is also faster than the d40, plus a higher megapixel. It has a video mode if that's your kind of thing. The standard lens that comes with it is a VR 18-105, great lens. Definitely go for it, it's an upgrade you will not regret and will make me jealous
I definitely recommend reading Thom Hogan's review of the D90 (Nikon D90 Review by Thom Hogan), along with other reviews. Based on that the video and live view aren't much to write home about. If I get it it will be as an overall upgrade from the D40, but especially in the area of high ISO capability. If I can use ISO 1600 without worrying about noise, I think that's a considerable step up from the D40. The 18-105 VR kit lens is enticing too (mainly the versatile focal length range but also the VR), especially if the prices of the D90 kit are coming down to the point where you can essentially get that $300 lens (albeit overpriced) for $100 when you buy it with the D90.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back