Thinking about trading in my D40 ....

rodman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been contemplating on selling my D40 to get a D90.

I got my D40 about a year ago and now I want to be able to get some lenses and get a camera with a higher resolution. I also love the bigger LCD!

So I've been eyeing the D90.

What do you guys think?

One thing that I was concerned about is that since the D40 I would have to manual focus on a lot of the lenses I want to get, and with upgrading I would not have this issue.

Dooooo it! I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my D90!

3251084317_03f6431a93.jpg

dont know how much you'll get for your d40 as a trade in, but i'd be interested to know.. i would do it for sure if you could get a decent price for the 40

Just checked ebay and looks like some completed auctions haev gone from $300-$350. I could include my 55-200mm Lens and those auctions are $400-$450.

ARG! D90! mine will be here Thursday the tracking number says! i'm going out of my mind waiting for it! :drool:

I'm in the same boat Rodman, but I'm going to keep m D40 and get a D90. When I'm ready to upgrade to a bigger camera, then I'll part with the 40.

Now how about the D80? Would that be a good upgrade from the D40?
I think the general consensus (if there is one) is that the D80 is not much of an upgrade from the D40. Keep in mind the D80 came out before the D40 so the technology isn't newer like it is in the D90 and D300 (and even the D60 though that's not much better). Many say it's more prudent to wait a couple of generations before upgrading. For example, if you have the D70s, don't go for the D80 but wait for the D90 which is a much more substantial upgrade. With the upgrade to D80 from D40, however, you do gain better AF and the ability to AF older non-AFS lenses. The viewfinder is also bigger and there are buttons for most crucial settings on the outside of the camera (where you have to go into menus on the D40 and D60).

haha im almost in the same situation. instead of getting stuck selling a D40 in 3 months im going to go straight and buy a D90.

Wow, the D90 is a bit expensive, no? Kinda why I just bought the d40. Any substantial upgrade over this is going to be several hundred dollars.

Also, if I ever learn how to use the d40 properly, it will be worth the extra dough to upgrade. Now, not so much.

Gotta walk before you can ru.

New here too, but have read quite a bit and I'm really glad I went with the D90 istead of upgrading in a few months. Now, if would just get here.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back