Thinking of upgrading to d90

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it worth it.many say is obsolete. Is there a new model coming soon. Or should I save up for the full d700. I want something that I dont have to upgrade for years.

The D7000 is supposed to replace the D90 I believe.

D90 isn't very expensive now that the D7000 is out. Why D700, are you ready for Full Frame camera? If not then the D7000 is the best thing out there right now that you won't have to upgrade for awhile unless you need a full frame camera. If you really want a full frame one, wait until the D700 replacement is out, it'll probably have 1080p 30fps recording. That way for sure you won't have to upgrade for another 7 or so years. But you know it'll be a grip. So yeah D90 is an easy buy, D7000 is definitely the one to buy if you have money.

If youre gonna upgrade... go for the D7000.... much better. Full frame is over rated, imo. Bunch of people with too much money to blow on pictures of their kiddos, thinking their sh*t dont stink most of the time...some actually utilize them correctly.

Upgrading from...
What doesn't your current camera do that you want it to?
I have a d5000 and its just not my style. Im looking for a heavier more durable camera that will last me awhile. I was thinking d90 because of its built in focusing motor. The other things i want is the creative lighting system for sb-600 - sb900 flashes. As well as a higher flash sync speed. The problem i have with the d7000 is the lack of a built in focusing motor and many of you say that its better to have a focusing motor.
Does full frame mean that its cropping factor is less. Im not quite sure on what this means. One more thing how does the d7000 perform in low light high iso situations. Not really a night photographer but a good option to have.

Upgrading from...
What doesn't your current camera do that you want it to?
I have a d5000 and its just not my style. Im looking for a heavier more durable camera that will last me awhile. I was thinking d90 because of its built in focusing motor. The other things i want is the creative lighting system for sb-600 - sb900 flashes. As well as a higher flash sync speed. The problem i have with the d7000 is the lack of a built in focusing motor and many of you say that its better to have a focusing motor.

The remain point of contention for FF or not is what focal lengths you use. If you want wides then FF is more relevant etc. I think that would be a major point of contention....

I don't know major details on flash options but d7000 has internal wireless flash yeah? and I'm assume the d700 is similar or better on this and sync speed...

The D90 is still a great buy. Just because the D7000 came out to "replace" it, doesn't mean it's obsolete. If you have the money, of course, get the d7000. But the D90 is still a very capable camera, especially for the money. I don't think you will need to upgrade for a while.

This link shows the differences. I'm not sure if it is the best example, but it was the first that came up on a Google search.

BTW, as far as I know, the D7000 DOES have a built-in AF motor. If that was your only concern, I'd say go for it.

So the im leaning towards the d7000 now im not sure but i read somewhere that it actually doesnt have a magnesium alloy body only the top and back panel. I read up and this is what i found. Apparently this is what it looks like without the plastic. Money is not really the problem my patience is. If i want the d90 i can get it now, the d7000 i can get it in a month the d700 in 4 months and the d3 in half a year. But like most of you people its hard to save up when your drooling over something that you want right away. i just dont want to spend my money on a d90 then find out if I had just waited a couple more weeks i could have got a much better one.
Nikon D7000 Specifications

The D7000 DOES HAVE an in-body autofocus motor!!!! The D7000 is NOT, according to NIkon, the 'replacement' for the D90, but is instead a new, lower-tier model that is of a new generation, and which increases the value proposition of the higher-end consumer model bodies. The naming alone tells you it is not a D90 replacement. ANyway, if you can manage to save enough for a D3 in six months' time, I'd do that.

so they are basically shifting the whole nikon line to a higher gear and upping the requirements.

so they are basically shifting the whole nikon line to a higher gear and upping the requirements.

If i were you would start to learn how to use my d5000 before dumping k's of dollars on a full frame camera.

Is the d7000 a better camera than your photography friend you were worried about putting money into something he isn't good at? If not, I say, go for the d700.

Is it worth it.many say is obsolete. Is there a new model coming soon. Or should I save up for the full d700. I want something that I dont have to upgrade for years.

For most people, there isn't a camera that you do not need to upgrade for years. At least that is what camera manufacturers think. They will make one better than the previous one. At least they will make us think that way.

Most often, it is the desire, not needed.

Here are some questions for you.
- Are you planning to get a lens or lenses that need the in-body focus motor anytime soon?
From what I read, most of the newer better lenses from Nikon are AF-S, unless you are really going after those older generations lenses.

- Do you often run into situation that you need higher x-sync speed?
Maybe take a look at the D40, D50 or D70, they blow away a lot of cameras as far as x-sync speed concern.

- Do you think the D3 camera make you stand out from the crowd?
If yes, I think you should save enough money for the D3. Life is short, get what make you happy. :)

The bottom line is, go with what make you happy now. As we all know, buying a more expensive won't make you are better photographer, it just make you are happier photographer. (Of course, a happier manufacturer as well)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back