Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone!

So I was skimming through todays lightning deals for Amazon between classes hoping for some camera gear to pop up, and sure enough something did! After my crap $30 tripod broke (found it in a closet, used for a month or so) I have been tripod-less and getting weary of not being able to shoot landscapes, time-lapse, or have anything to set up on for wildlife photography. I was pretty excited when I saw what appeared to be a decent tripod for a reasonable price that could fit in my student budget. The "lightning deal" was for this tripod, a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AGH, and the price was $139.99 after the discount (with free shipping).

Here's a promo video I found on it, it sure looks interesting, but you can never really trust those promos.

After looking into it, the reviews all seemed to be positive, and I figured for the price I could always resell it should I not like it. Really, however, I'd like to know what you all think. I've seen tripods at Best Buy that cost upwards of $100, so I have a slight case of "must be too good to be true" syndrome, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to alleviate that. What are your impressions? Do you have any personal experience with this tripod, its head, or the Vanguard brand? From what I can read its an Alta 263AT with a GH-100 pistol/ball head on it.

Best,

Toga

Here are a couple other videos about various aspects, including the head for your scrutiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Since there seems to be a lacking of people posting tonight, I'll simplify what I'm looking for. Please pick one of the two options below, include any additional comments if you like.

A) Toga, you just bought yourself one hell of a paperweight.
B) No worries man, its a decent piece of kit, and you got it for a decent price.
C) Decent tripod, but you way overpaid.

Please and thankyou! :hug::

I'd go with B. It looks decent, has decent reviews, but it is pretty heavy.

Should it suit your needs? Yes. Would I buy one? No.

Amazon makes it extremely easy to return things. If you don't like it, send it back. That way you can decide for yourself.

It is a good tripod. I bought one about 8 months ago. My Pentax K7 with Tamron 28-300 is pretty heavy, and it handles it just fine.

Vanguard is a fairly new player on the market (several years now) and they make a good product and in fact my dealer told me they have put a bit of "hurt " on manfrotto.

I have several of their ball heads with L bracket options, and a monopod. I also have manfrotto and gitzo and frankly it stands up to the big guys at a better price point.

I've had two vanguard tripods. Shooting seascapes and mountains both froze, locked, seized, and died in a matter of months. If your never going to get it dirty I imagine they work ok.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back