No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An Anna's Hummingbird in my backyard this afternoon:

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

Thanks, Eric. I got a critique on another board that the white doesn't work, but I like it. :)
The white is the blur of the outside wall of my house in my backyard. I thought about moving the feeder so my images had a different background, but this place is a nice convenient place to sit and wait for him to show up.

I'm just curious whether others don't like the white. I was really cut-down for this on another board. I'm trying to decide whether to move my feeder so I have a different BG.

Good shots.

I like the white for a few reasons. For one it leaves no distraction, your subject is clearly obvious and your eyes have nothing else to look at. Secondly it makes it very easy to edit and give yourself any background you like. You could go shoot a nice Bokeh shot of some backyard scene and then lay the bird over it.

The only drawback is it kind of looks like a product shot, and not a nature capture.

I like them, but if I had my choice, I wouldn't use white. To me it looks like they are overexposed to me. It may not be, but it 'appears' that way. I'd at least find a place with the sky as a background.

It's definitely unusual to see white background for animal shots, looks like a studio set up. I wouldn't say I don't like it. I think it can be very cool, just takes time to get used to seeing it.

Since you are already waiting there for the bird with your camera, any chance of setting up lighting so that you get a better over all lit shot?

Thanks, everyone. I find it interesting how the white BG with a wild bird shot bothers people.

Since you are already waiting there for the bird with your camera, any chance of setting up lighting so that you get a better over all lit shot?

That's the next project. I have to take down one feeder because, if I do that, I can almost guarantee they will go to the other. But yes, I'm going to try that.

Most reactions

Back