This is a guitar I made 24 years ago...

Ls3D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shea-design.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just messing with EOS utility,... but some back story if you like...

I was supposed to receive this beautiful chunk of koa wood after a year of repairing customer instruments so that I could build my own acoustic guitar,... turns out the guy flakes on our agreement so I 'enter' the shop after hours, procure the wood, build the guitar at another shop and then put it in his face! What could he say!

Took 1st place in craftsmanship at Del Mar Fair that year. Of note; I drafted her shape with folded paper on glass and one sharp razor.. Rosette is local manzanita wood book matched at 30 degrees, mirrored on the centerline. Just for fun! I play almost everyday. -Shea :mrgreen:

shea-koa-guitar-front-sharp-NoFlash-SML.jpg

shea-koa-guitar-back-sunish-crop-SML.jpg

shea-koa-guitar-back-headstock-SML.jpg

shea-koa-guitar-bridge-detail-crop-SML.jpg

Those are amazing, and by those I mean the pics and the guitar. So Beautiful. It makes me want to learn how to play the guitar.

Excellent craftsmanship! That is a special skill indeed, much less playing the thing!

Back in the mid-'90s I bought a koa electric (DC135) guitar from Carvin, which was also a work of art with its gold hardware, nice smell, sweet tone, etc. Lefty too! As the years went by I never did progress my chops playing it, so I sold in on ebay to some guys from Edinburgh Scotland who wrote me and requested international shipment. Bought my wife the nice couch she wanted with the money...

Nice,.. thanks. I google image searched 'koa guitar' one night and saw some incredible works of art! Would love to have a koa Djembe too.. I love channel jamming those things.

Here is me rocking out some multitrack on a roland VG8 and semi e-coustic jazz guitar. I'm trying to record YES's 'Mood for a Day' on the acoustic, but that is one long take!

Thanks for your comments. -Shea :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back