This is why I shoot with a 600mmm

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Gives lovely Bokeh :) - Juvenile Starling on my fence :)

PoAYhUK.jpg

Les :)

Last edited:
Nice, crisp, and clear! I'm about to start putting suet out for the birds in a few weeks, and I will have Starlings galore in the back yard.

The title would make a good theme thread! If you’re interested I could move this to the Themes forum and you and others could add your favorite photos taken at 600mm. It would make an interesting long term comparison of 600mm lenses and also a way to give others examples should they be gear shopping.

I love shooting with my 600.

Nice, crisp, and clear! I'm about to start putting suet out for the birds in a few weeks, and I will have Starlings galore in the back yard.
I look forward to seeing some images then Jeff- thank you for your comments :)
The title would make a good theme thread! If you’re interested I could move this to the Themes forum and you and others could add your favorite photos taken at 600mm. It would make an interesting long term comparison of 600mm lenses and also a way to give others examples should they be gear shopping.
Of course- I have no objection - Please do :)
I agree, 600's are great. Beautiful image.
Expensive though- but as I sell images I do struggle for perfection :)
Yup, the thin depth of field can get some really nice blur going on. Starlings are pretty birds too, much underated!

You've captured this well and it's a pleasing composition too.
Thank you - I appreciate your comments :)

Les

Which one do you own? and lest see some images please

I have two: The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens& the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens.

I have two: The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens& the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens.
Sorry Scott, I'm talking about 600mm PRIME lens NOT the tele zooms -

jicuYKm.jpg

although those 2 you have are splendid lenses -I did have the Sigma 150-600mm Sports lens some years back when
Sony had the A mount system- they have updated to E and FE mount now Mirrorless= I also have a tele zoom the Sony 200-600mm f6.3 which I do often use as its a very portable lens, when I walk about without a tripod + I love the fact that the zoom from 200-600mm is internal and the lens does not extend when zooming, very useful

Seen here on one of my Sony a7Riv bodies

iNBCaBC.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Scott, I'm talking about 600mm PRIME lens NOT the tele zooms -

jicuYKm.jpg

although those 2 you have are splendid lenses -I did have the Sigma 150-600mm Sports lens some years back when
Sony had the A mount system- they have updated to E and FE mount now Mirrorless= I also have a tele zoom the Sony 200-600mm f6.3 which I do often use as its a very portable lens, when I walk about without a tripod + I love the fact that the zoom from 200-600mm is internal and the lens does not extend when zooming, very useful

Seen here on one of my Sony a7Riv bodies

iNBCaBC.jpg

I'm not familiar with the lens you are talking about.

Last edited:
Ok everyone, blow the dust off your 600mm prime or refinance your home.... Lol... I couldn't resist. Great idea though.

The bokeh from my 600mm prime (a Rikonon 600mm f/8 mirror lens) would be far more distracting - it's one of the reasons I don't use it much.
At least it's considerable more affordable than yours & a lot less effort to lug around.

In the right situation I think my 300/4 & 400/5.6 options might be able to approach the smooth bokeh you've got, but they certainly would need a lot more help from background distance.

Even my dreams don't stretch to the Sony 600/4, it's way to far out of my class.

Most reactions

Back