This one's for the pixel-pokers. Pentax vs Canon L! What's going on here?

quick question - are these RAWs processed past RAW conversoin - ie has sharpening been applied?
You're actually asking that? No! of course I didn't modify them afterwards, that would void the whole test. These are direct from the camera to you.

And Alex: "slowly getting there" is not good enough. This was an adequate test. Give me some credit. Autofocus is the best choice, simply because 1. that's how most people will be using these lenses 2. This feature makes up a large part of the lens' performance, so it deserves to be tested as well and 3. The lens' autofocus is going to be much more accurate than my eye through that viewfinder without any type of focusing screen.

EDIT: Is there a more accurate way of focusing for this type of test? I can't imagine what it would be.

And I'm aware of the difference in IQ between the center and the edge of any lens' image. Every lens performs best at the center, I know. The whole point of this test was to compare the peaks of each lens, hence the f5.6, 100mm, center crop. For this test, I do not care about the low-performing areas of the lenses. I wanted to learn "What's the best each lens can do".

This crop was from the center, which is often the most important bit, so that's all I care to test at the moment. You want to know how well the edges look? Just imagine these results with half the IQ. There you go.

Last edited:
Where did u get all the lenses from anyway? =\

And I'm aware of the difference in IQ between the center and the edge of any lens' image. Every lens performs best at the center, I know. The whole point of this test was to compare the peaks of each lens, hence the f5.6, 100mm, center crop. For this test, I do not care about the low-performing areas of the lenses. I wanted to learn "What's the best each lens can do".

But the centre performance alone is pretty irrelevant for IQ. I tend to take images with the whole frame. not just the 10% centre.

We will all have a good laugh when we find out problem is with you camera :)

I do not look at each pixel. I've never had any IQ probs with my f/2.8L IS.

I see these tests as "Pentax" vs "Canon"

Circle the wagons circle the wagons!!!

Someone might show us something wrong with our great equipment no way can't be right. Kinda sounds like the Apple computers are magical great machines and nothing can go wrong.

Circle the wagons circle the wagons!!!

Someone might show us something wrong with our great equipment no way can't be right. Kinda sounds like the Apple computers are magical great machines and nothing can go wrong.

nah, you did not get the point here ;)

We will all have a good laugh when we find out problem is with you camera :)

I do not look at each pixel. I've never had any IQ probs with my f/2.8L IS.

I see these tests as "Pentax" vs "Canon"

But the second test is all Canon, isn't it?

Yeah, I knew this was dangerous water when I started the thread. I don't mean to cause any trouble, but I do mean to bring to attention what I noticed when playing around with these lenses.

Remember, sure I shoot Pentax, but I am not loyal to Pentax. I respect any and all finely crafted equipment.

My first 70-200.

Exif:
Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel
Exposure:0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture:f/5.6
Focal Length:140 mm
ISO Speed:100

Camera:Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Focal Length:145 mm

Camera:Canon EOS 30D
Focal Length:135 mm

Yeah, I knew this was dangerous water when I started the thread. I don't mean to cause any trouble, but I do mean to bring to attention what I noticed when playing around with these lenses.

Remember, sure I shoot Pentax, but I am not loyal to Pentax. I respect any and all finely crafted equipment.

You're doing just fine! I assume you're not attempting to reproduce critical laboratory bench testing. I've learned a few things from this thread even if they aren't concretely conclusive and absolute.

Last edited:
Oookay. Not sure why this is here, but thanks for sharing anyway!

My first camera was the Dimage A2. Fantastic little "point and shoot". Five years ago, I brought it to Malaysia, where it got soaked, boiled and abused to extremes. It's old now, but it still works fine, and in terms of performance and abilities, it still holds up well to todays cameras(Except in iso/noise performance). I still have mine kicking around in some box somewhere. And here's the wonderful thing: the batteries are the exact same as what's used in the K10 and K20! (So now I have 2 spares for my K10) And all the 49mm filters that I had purchased for it work just fine on my Vintage Pentax Nifty Fifty, so I didn't have to buy those again either.

Last edited:
Those were all shot with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS. Focus is on the lines to the left of Washington. Just with three different cameras. 100% crop of a RAW file converted to JPG. No sharpening. It's a sharp lens. Some are a little softer than others. Also, the 2.8 is a bit sharper according to several sites and the f/4 is supposed to be the sharpest of the group as it has fewer elements.

I have some others that I've shot that I've inspected. The lens can be great. Also, turn the IS off if you don't need it for best results. Sometimes it can make the photos a little soft, depending on the shooting situation.

So, what is sharper...

EF 70-200mm F/2.8 at F/4
or EF 70-200mm F/4 at F/4

lol

Oookay. Not sure why this is here, but thanks for sharing anyway!

Hehehe, yeah, I was just being silly, :D Poking a little fun at VI. :hug:: I've had the A2 for years and never used it except for the 2 or 3 jobs I bought it (and a buttload of other A2s) for. I'm using it now while in between dSLRs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back