This or That? Needing a vote of which image to add to my online portfolio.

As a general rule, I'd say that if you look at a photo and see technical errors, then the photo doesn't belong in your portfolio. You want to display the best of your best, and if you see something wrong with it, then it doesn't fall into that category. After a quick look at your Facebook page, I'd say that neither of these belongs in your portfolio. Do you like these photos because you think they're good or because you tried something new and different?

That being said, if I were choosing between these two photos, I like the second one better. The couple is just flat in the first photo, so I think the more silhouetted photo works better.

I agree with curt on everything, except the choice of photos; I prefer the first image.

I just feel like if I threw out an image because I wasn't 100% satisfied witht he technical aspects of it, then I wouldn't have a single picture in my portfolio! lol. I am putting the best of the best up that are within my skill level. Which is still riding the Newb title.

I'm on a Macbook Pro, using Safari.

When I hover over the first image:

$Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 1.59.58 PM.jpg

When I attempt to hover over an image not in the first column:

$Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.00.04 PM.jpg

When I attempt to hover over a different image not in the first column:

$Screen Shot 2014-05-19 at 2.00.12 PM.jpg

Once in a while I can get the one I'm hovering over to stay, but most often it disappears.

So it's not about not liking the layout... the look of the layout it's fine... I'm strictly talking functionality here. :sillysmi:

I'm on a Macbook Pro, using Safari.

When I hover over the first image:

View attachment 74293

When I attempt to hover over an image not in the first column:

View attachment 74292

When I attempt to hover over a different image not in the first column:

View attachment 74291

Once in a while I can get the one I'm hovering over to stay, but most often it disappears.

So it's not about not liking the layout... the look of the layout it's fine... I'm strictly talking functionality here. :sillysmi:

Oh my goodness!!!!! I have never seen it do that! I use a crap compaq though. My desktop (a dell) and my laptop have never shown it that way and I was just at the apple store a few weeks ago browsing my site with one of their laptops, didn't do this either.... ugh.. something must have communicated incorrectly, I'll have to have my techy borther come over and tell me why it's doing that on your screen. You use a macbook pro 15"?

You use a macbook pro 15"?

Yup. Brand spankin' new, running 100% current and updated software.

Also, just so you know, the gallery loads just fine when I click on the link to get to it. It's when I start hovering over images to click one that it starts to do that.

E.rose, my brother (who is much better at this than I am) said that it has to do with the web browser the user is using. When I used the apple store's laptop I probably just didn't notice since I didn't have the page up all the way. In chrome & firefox it displays correctly, he checked IE & Safari and said it's doing the same thing as the pics you posted. I have to reconfigure the display in Dreamweaver to work on IE & Safari now..... great lol.

When I hover over an image with the mouse, here's what I get:

$Hover 2014-05-19 at 12.21.03 PM.jpg

$Hover 2014-05-19 at 12.21.18 PM.jpg

$Hover 2014-05-19 at 12.21.29 PM.jpg

Safari under Mac OS 10.6.8

Apparently e.rose's bleeding edge OS and browser can't display your pages properly. Bummer for her, but it's just one of those issues about being on the cutting edge of whatever Apple has updated things to this month...

Fact is, there are untold of million of people still browsing the web using Internet Explorer--as ancient as IE's Version 6.....truly ancient in browser terms...so, you might as well forget about the bleeding-edgers and just design the most basic site you can, unless your goal is to design for the microscopic segment of Safari users and the even more-limited microscopic segment of that sub-set of users who just happen to have a computer that's a month, maybe a month and a half old.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Amber. And as for making your site 100% Safari-compatible for those few users with the newest of Apple's newest OS flavor of the month? Who cares? Safari is about 4% of browsers in service according to this site. Browser Statistics

For that matter, focus on Windoze if you want to appeal to the majority. W3Counter: Global Web Stats - April 2014

The color looks off in both of those - look at the road in the first one, it looks pink. Maybe you adjusted to make a pink sky in the second one, if that's the color sky you got in camera I'd think something seems off. I like the idea of a silhouette but I think them being darker would make for a better silhouette, but I'm not sure if you want that for a portrait shot.

I like the one of her taking a piggyback ride except for her feet cut off, above the ankle seems like an awkward place to crop. I can't tell if the last one is supposed to be B&W or sepia, could work either way it just seems more gray.

And I think Curt makes a good point; if you feel like you wouldn't have anything left in your portfolio if you removed what wasn't done well technically, then it seems like you have some work to do on bringing your skill level up so you can be successful with your photography.

And I think Curt makes a good point; if you feel like you wouldn't have anything left in your portfolio if you removed what wasn't done well technically, then it seems like you have some work to do on bringing your skill level up so you can be successful with your photography.

I just feel like if I threw out an image because I wasn't 100% satisfied with the technical aspects of it, then I wouldn't have a single picture in my portfolio! lol.
I am putting the best of the best up that are within my skill level. Which is still riding the Newb title.

Please read above ^
I have admitted my skill level and the desire to improve.

seems like you have some work to do on bringing your skill level up so you can be successful with your photography

Also, on another note, skill level doesn't always determine your success as a photographer. I am getting bookings based off people viewing my portfolio, I have been working solidly for the past year and have a fair amount of repeat business. I would consider this successful. I plan to be even more successful as I improve my skill.

So it's working on your Safari?? Good Lord I am so confused now lol.
They say to build for the most popular browsers first............. which would be Chrome 58.4%, Firefox (25%), Internet Explorer (9.4%) and then Safari (4%). Of course, you don't want to exclude any browser if you can help it.

Browser Statistics

Most reactions

Back