This Photography Thing is Tricky! CC Please

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out tonight to capture some shots and drove out to a popular black bridge.

The lighting, obviously, was still quite bright, and i'm fairly disappointed in how these turned out.

The details are provided at the top of each picture...any suggestions on what I need to do differently next time would be great! I am assuming my problem was too high of a shutter speed? I was trying to rely entirely on my cameras light meter.

1 - 1/2000 shutter speed, f-4.0, ISO 400
IMG_1591.jpg

2 - (I realize this is crooked, don't have anything to fix it) - 1/20 shutter speed, f-29, ISO 400
IMG_1585.jpg

3 - 1/4000 shutter speed, f-4.0, ISO 400
IMG_1586.jpg

What are you talking about photography is like the easiest thing in the world. Zero effort FTW!!!!

Your camera has an agenda. It wants to turn what it sees into 18% gray. So when you point your camera at a scene like #3, the light meter reads the bright sky and tells you to either stop down the aperture or increase the shutter speed, resulting in an exposed sky and an underexposed foreground. Next time point the camera down so it reads more of the ground and "expose for the shadows", as they say. Of course, your sky will be blown out. Unless you HDR scenes like this, you'll have to sacrifice details somewhere.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back