What's new

This you won't see again...

Frequency

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Oct 17, 2010
Messages
8,864
Reaction score
683
Location
Calicut, Kerala,India
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In India, especially in South India, Cattle Races were held as a part of annual post- harvest festivals. But this was the last year for this item, because Government has banned cattle races. This is as a part of preventing cruelties to animals; as a personal witness, i had seen the cattle being tormented at the time of race to make them run faster. The participants would bend their tail through 180 degree, beat them harshly and so on.....These images were posted earlier in this forum else where, but re-posting them under this context.


_MG_2371,small,fr by Flashback'r, on Flickr



_MG_2372,small,fr by Flashback'r, on Flickr


_MG_2379,small,fr by Flashback'r, on Flickr


_MG_2439,small,fr by Flashback'r, on Flickr


C&C as always

Regards :D
 
stunning photos.
 
Really like the 3rd shot!

A shame to read of the loss of the event, I recall seeing more of it before (I've a feeling it might have been your own shots from a previous year); though when areas of culture start to become cruel to the animals that take part then it is best that such practice is ended. I'm surprised they didn't try to simply put stronger laws/rules in place to prevent the abuse.
 
Thank you Desi :D

Thank you Overread; yes, that was from me in "Photojournalism" section. Yes as a photography enthusiast i too am unhappy of the ban, but as a human being happy that those animals have not to suffer; of course, a healthy harmless way would have been a better choice, as you have pointed out

Regards :D
 
Great shots Freq.
 
Amazing shots, especially the second and fourth. I missed these the first time you posted them.
 
Cool set indeed. My pick is #2. I agree with Overread about the decision to shut this down altogether instead of just putting stronger rules in place.
 
Awesome shots! Love the clarity and the water sprays! So glad they are banned now...how cruel for those poor animals!
 
The content aside, the images are well photographed. I would like to see 3 in black and white. I do not think the sepia tone works.

Even though it is a "sport" that was invented by liquor and betting mafias and has no traditional background in India with farmers what-so-ever and the animals usually die after the races, I think it is important to document everything we can so we don't forget. The good and (in this case) the bad.
 
wait. they race cows?! :)

Awesome set Frequency, perfect exposure on #1.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom