Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
D850
f/5.6
ISO 64
1/500 Sec.
70 - 200 mm - f/2.8E FL ED VR
200 mm

OCF Left SB 910 & Rogue Grid No. 25, Using Phottix/Odin II System.

(Processed In LR & Color Efex Pro 4)

20180803-untitled-10-Edit.jpg

Thanks For Looking Any Comments/Criticism Will Be Appreciated.

Enezdez

Interesting lighting approach that fits him well.

that's different. it works

@Jeff15 @smoke665 @jcdeboever

Morning Folks!.....This Is The Video, I Watched The Other Night Which Gave Me The Idea To Try This....

Thank you all as always, Happy Saturday!

Enezdez

.This Is The Video, I Watched The Other Night Which Gave Me The Idea To Try This....

For an even tighter focus on the light, if you have a snoot, slip a longer tube over the end of it. Anything will work, shipping tubes, etc. Then use black tape to close off the open end leaving only a slit. You have to experiment with tube length as the longer the tube the more focused and narrow the beam, conversely the shorter the tube the more the beam will spread out. FYI in your photo you could have illuminated only the eyes creating yet a different look. By angling the light you can create a narrow slit over a larger area.

.This Is The Video, I Watched The Other Night Which Gave Me The Idea To Try This....

For an even tighter focus on the light, if you have a snoot, slip a longer tube over the end of it. Anything will work, shipping tubes, etc. Then use black tape to close off the open end leaving only a slit. You have to experiment with tube length as the longer the tube the more focused and narrow the beam, conversely the shorter the tube the more the beam will spread out. FYI in your photo you could have illuminated only the eyes creating yet a different look. By angling the light you can create a narrow slit over a larger area.

Yes i saw another video where the guy did exactly what you are suggesting with the shipping tubes... lol

D850
f/5.6
ISO 64
1/500 Sec.
200 mm

View attachment 161503

Enezdez
Great original idea beautifully realized - and perfect choice of subject for this treatment.

D850
f/5.6
ISO 64
1/500 Sec.
200 mm

View attachment 161503

Enezdez
Great original idea beautifully realized - and perfect choice of subject for this treatment.

Thanks!

I'd like to see it maybe two stops brighter. Otherwise I think it's just a little bit too dark to the point that it looks mistakenly under exposed.

I'd like to see it maybe two stops brighter. Otherwise I think it's just a little bit too dark to the point that it looks mistakenly under exposed.

@DanOstergren It wasn't a mistake, I was attempting to darken the background without using any backdrop. While, I like the picture, I totally agree with you, it's underexposed. Additionally, I would of liked the portrait a tad brighter...

How can I darkened the background without using any backdrops and be better exposed? (I have three speed-lights (2) SB910 & (1) SB700.

Thanks In Advance,

Enezdez

enezdez said:
How can I darken the background without using any backdrops and be better exposed? (I have three speed-lights (2) SB910 & (1) SB700.

Thanks In Advance,

Enezdez

One way is to create a fairly substantial difference in brightness levels between the foreground subject's distance, and the background's distance. So...the Inverse Square Law comes to the rescue here pretty easily; with electronic flash light on the foreground (the portrait subject) placed _close to_ the subject, let's say we arrive at an exposure of f/8 for the flash in an umbrella or octabox, at an ISO of 100. This is with the flash placed a mere three feet from the subject's face; because of the way the Inverse Square Law works, that flash light will fall off to a VERY DIM level in 10 feet...so dim that the background will be very dark, especially if the ISO level is low, and the lens f/stop is smallish (like f/8), and the shutter speed used is high (like say 1/125 to 1/250).

If the lens aperture is large, like let's say f/2.8, and the ISO is high,like 400 to 1600, and the shutter speed is slow-ish, like let's say 1/40 second, it is VERY possible that a TTL-controlled flash pop, even a very tiny flash pop, will exposure the subject properly with ambient light--because of the large lens opening,the high ISO level, and the slow shutter speed; these things in combination might create enough exposure to make the background relatively bright and visible.

In answer to the question, "How can I darken the background without using any backdrops and be better exposed?"--the CLASSIC technique is to position a person in front of a large, dark area, like outdoors in sun light or sky-light, or open shade, and then to light them with flash, and shoot in a place where they have a DARK, interior doorway in a straight line behind them, often using a narrow-angle telephoto lens length to keep the background angle of view very narrow. Using a 200mm to 300mm lens length, this is relatively easily done.

The basic easiest way, lacking a dark room, or dark doorway, or tunnel or cave opening (LOL!) behind a portrait subject is to 1)place the main light close to the subject 2)make sure the background is far behind the subject 3)try to keep the ambient light from affecting the exposure by A)using a small lens opening (f/8,f/11,etc), B)use a low ISO level and 3)keep the shutter speed fast (1/180,1/200,1/250) to minimize the effect of continuous lighting on the non-flash-lighted areas behind the subject who is lighted by electronic flash.

@Derrel Thank you very much for taking the time & explaining how to darken the background without using any backdrops - will try it again soon!

Enezdez

Most reactions

New Topics

Back