Thoughts on 17-85 is?

bobandcar

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My tokina 12-24 is out for repair and I'm going away at the end of the month and need something wider than my 50 1.4 and a 70-200 4

Found a 17-85 on cl for 200 semi local, how is this particular lens?

Also if anyone has a wide to normal lens for crop I could barrow or buy for my trip hat would be nice to.

That's a decent lens - a step up from the 18-55 in build and IQ. It's got USM w/ FTM, and it feels reasonably solid. This lens was essentially replaced by the 15-85, which is my normal walkaround now. I had a 17-85 for a while, but sold it for the 15-85. $200 for that lens sounds like about the right ballpark. If you can try it before buying, be sure to try it zoomed to both extremes -- mine broke a ribbon cable inside the lens, which required complete dis-assembly to fix. I think this is somewhat common for this lens.

The ribbon cable is what's wrong with my tokina.

So try the extremes and check all aperture at each extreme. Got it

For $200, I'd go for it.

I had the 17-85mm IS for a long time, it was great. It's better than the typical kit lens, both in quality and range. Even when I bought a Tamron 18-50mm F2.8, I kept the 17-85mm around as my casual 'walk around' lens. The only think I didn't like about this lens, was the max aperture.

Some example shots from my 17-85mm...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/161139-hair-models.html

I have heard people complain about this lens having too much barrel distortion...but was never something that stood out to me.

Most reactions

Back