Thoughts on using an ABR800 ringflash for extreme macro

kalgra

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I wanted to see if I could get some thoughts on using this strobe setup for extreme macro with the Canon MP-E 65mm macro.

Paul C. Buff - AlienBees ABR800 Ringflash

I would be using it for other portraiture photography as well but was thinking with the diffuser it could work well. Im not just sure if it would be too much even at 1/32 power. I might have to rig up a different diffuser.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated. Im still learning and dont know much about working with strobes like this. Obviously I would only be using for studio staged macro and obviously not hand held.

Thanks!

The biggest problem would be size; its big and might be tricky to get fully into position with the MPE. My experience is that often the lower part of the lens is useful to keep clear so that you can lower the lens close enough to the subject.

However you say you're working in a studio and the size of it would provide, I would think, more than ample diffusion of the light. You might well be able to use such a light in a studio situation and I'd be intrigued to hear how it goes for you. The power should be enough, the MPE is a demanding lens for light and macro often demands small apertures so you should be fine with the lens not having tiny outputs.

At a guess you might find that you need a small pillar stand or the edge of a table for such shots; so you could lose some of the lower light; but otherwise it will be interesting to see. Of course you'll get the "flat" lighting that a ring flash gives; but varying diffusion cover over part of the lens might help

Thinking on it more the angle of the light might be another big issue. The ringflash there is designed to push the light forward, but when using the MPE the subject is going to be at a good angle to the front of the flash. Thus much of the light its putting out is going to fire around the subject rather than onto it. Now light spread might be sufficient; but it might not (I can't say). All I know is that using the twinflash with the MPE the lights on that are very much angled downward toward the subject; whilst regular "macro" ring flashes hug the lens tight.

If you get it for other purposes and try the MPE with it do report back on your experiences it will be most interesting to hear

Thanks Overread, I really appreciate you feed back, many of your concern are the same as my own. I hadnt considered the forward light thing though and to be honest I think that is one of the reasons I moved away from the ring flash I was using on my 100mm in favor of a softbox on a standard flash.

I do intend to eventually get the twin flash for the MP-E but my thought was perhaps I could spend half the money on the ABR800 and have something to use for portraits too. Im also concerned about using a stackshot focus rail with this flash. Im not even sure how that would work or if it would at all. No doubt id probably have to get creative with some sort of custom bracket or something. Im not concerned with this flash being under powered as mush as being too powerful and producing bad hot spots on some surfaces especially bugs.

Im tending to lean away from getting this for macro use but am intrigued. If I ever do get one I will most definitely report back. I wish B&H carried this so I could return it if it just didnt work out.

Aye its a bit of a problem with higher level gear and getting to trial it - have you considered seeing if any of the rental companies have it up for rent? I know those that will rent lenses and cameras and there must be those that cater to lighting equipment - though I can't say how much such would cost.

I can't say anything about the stackshot as I've not used one (that's all on my to get list - although I'm more inclined to go for their laser setup for bugs in flight - but that is a pricey toy indeed!).

I did look into a rental but the two places I checked where not even familiar with this unit. I can imagine its not something too commonly used. I should probably check around some more.
What is this laser setup you speak of. Sounds right up my alley! Do you have a link?

Ahh you spoke of the stackshot so I assumed you knew; but its the Stopshot - here:
Cognisys - Insect Rig

They've also a LOT of macro toys and laser trigger setups - suitable for a whole host of things. They've even a waterdrop system that controls drops, lights and camera so you can really get some fantastic results

Most reactions

Back