Threads with endless streams of models - what are they?

Tropicalmemories

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm interested in portrait photography of all types, but for my 'glamour' shots my subject will always be my long suffering partner, who poses while I faff with lights, lenses and reflectors.

But I see many threads on Flickr, Instagram etc with an endless stream of glamorous models, some male, but primarily female, and I wonder how this happens in practice?

If they were professional shoots on behalf of the models or other customers, then how would you have the right to display them on social media?

If they are amateur shoots, then does the photographer pay models just for an amateur shoot? Or does he have lots of photogenic friends?

I understand that keen, amateur landscape photographers will make early morning treks to their favourite spots to capture that perfect scene, and street photographers walk down busy streets to capture interesting scenes, but do amateurs pay models to pose just for their hobby, or are they professionals promoting work?

I'm just curious, as my 'model' would respond with extreme measures if I hired a model, but I really don't understand how this works as I don't think they are all professionals?

Last edited:
It varies and there are a few ways:
1) Trade of services. A model and photographer (as well as others like make up) might well unite to trade services. The model (and make up etc..) get photos they can use to promote themselves as does the photographer. Each person is essentially donating their skill toward the final goal so that they can all benefit. This might be a model wanting to make it into paid work and needing a portfolio to boost their chances.

2) Paid. Yep its a hobby but some will pay for models to pose for specific shots, sometimes its really the only way to get things to work. Just like a landscape photographer might pay to travel or a wildlife pay for trips etc... Even if the photographer isn't using their work commercially.

3) Events (oft paid). Training days and events get held where lights and poses and models might well be setup for multiple photographers. These are often aimed at training days or experiences and are generally going to produce a lot of similar photos, but they can be a good experience for those learning or those who otherwise would never setup such a situation.

4) Friends - yeah some people have friends who are natural posers and models and who are willing to put time in to it.

In the end there are likely way more ways too, its not about any set approach. There are websites like Model Mayhem where photographers and models can exchange contact information and find each other to achieve these end goals - from free trades to paid.
Many do advise having some form of payment even its very small because totally free can be full of "flakes". Ergo people who claim to want to turn up who then never do - either something comes up or they change their mind etc.... Putting payment even (even small) often weeds out the flakes quite quickly.

Last edited:
1) Trade of services. A model and photographer (as well as others like make up) might well unite to trade services. The model (and make up etc..) get photos they can use to promote themselves as does the photographer. Each person is essentially donating their skill toward the final goal so that they can all benefit. This might be a model wanting to make it into paid work and needing a portfolio to boost their chances.

2) Paid. Yep its a hobby but some will pay for models to pose for specific shots, sometimes its really the only way to get things to work. Just like a landscape photographer might pay to travel or a wildlife pay for trips etc... Even if the photographer isn't using their work commercially.

3) Events (oft paid). Training days and events get held where lights and poses and models might well be setup for multiple photographers. These are often aimed at training days or experiences and are generally going to produce a lot of similar photos, but they can be a good experience for those learning or those who otherwise would never setup such a situation.

4) Friends - yeah some people have friends who are natural posers and models and who are willing to put time in to it.

In the end there are likely way more ways too, its not about any set approach. There are websites like Model Mayhem where photographers and models can exchange contact information and find each other to achieve these end goals - from free trades to paid.
Many do advise having some form of payment even its very small because totally free can be full of "flakes". Ergo people who claim to want to turn up who then never do - either something comes up or they change their mind etc.... Putting payment even (even small) often weeds out the flakes quite quickly.

Thank you! Very interesting, and I'd not thought about the studio events.

I'm just curious, as my 'model' would respond with extreme measures if I hired a mode

I don't think you're alone in this respect. LOL

I struggle with the model problem also. I feel a little self conscious about asking friends, but without practice on differing human models it's hard to grow. My goal this year is to move outside the comfort level. I've already scheduled a couple of shoots with friends and acquaintances, to test the waters.

Great list. missed a key one though.

5: Model pays Photographer. Often newer models will want to build their portfolio. They can in most cases find amateur photographers to shoot them for trade but will also often pay to get more professional photographers to help build a portfolio.

I'm just curious, as my 'model' would respond with extreme measures if I hired a mode

I don't think you're alone in this respect. LOL

I struggle with the model problem also. I feel a little self conscious about asking friends, but without practice on differing human models it's hard to grow. My goal this year is to move outside the comfort level. I've already scheduled a couple of shoots with friends and acquaintances, to test the waters.

Yes, and I also struggle with asking strangers to allow me to take a photo. I see some great 'National Geographic' style images of deeply weathered people exuding character, but I find it difficult to ask people to take their photo, especially when travelling.

Great list. missed a key one though.

5: Model pays Photographer. Often newer models will want to build their portfolio. They can in most cases find amateur photographers to shoot them for trade but will also often pay to get more professional photographers to help build a portfolio.

Yes - good addition, makes sense. But my regular, live in model may be even less impressed if I said "but she's an aspiring model who needed a favour".

...But my regular, live in model may be even less impressed if I said "but she's an aspiring model who needed a favour".
I think you need to sit down and have a frank discussion with said live-in model. A portrait photographer without models (nb: "model" does not just refer to an early 20s, tall, attractive blonde female, it's ANYONE in front of the camera, also, variously, "Talent", "subject" and/or "person(s)") is like a carpenter without a saw; lack an essential tool to complete the task.

Explain to him/her that this is not a romantic or sexual thing, but rather a combination of clinical and artistic processes. Have them come along to sessions, even put them to work; holding reflectors, taking notes, etc.

With respect to access, while some models will pay for work, you generally need to be an established name who delivers a certain quality of work. Unpaid tests from an agency are another option. This is essentially a "TF" or "Trade for..." shoot where you get each others time and no one gets paid. The difference between calling up an agency and booking an unpaid test and setting up a session with someone from a 'site like Model Mayhem, is that the person with the agency is MUCH more likely to take the session seriously. Bigger agencies will likely want samples of work before they will refer you, even for unpaid shoots, but once you're in, it's a good way to get talent in front of the camera.

Yes, and I also struggle with asking strangers to allow me to take a photo. I see some great 'National Geographic' style images of deeply weathered people exuding character, but I find it difficult to ask people to take their photo, especially when travelling.

Get rich, start travelling with yacht boys/girls.

A good way when starting out to find a bunch of people to pose for you is to find a specific group you might have an "in" with. Let's say you (or someone you know well) is in a dance group. Go to them ask if any would like shots done in their dance outfits in various poses. People who are perhaps camera shy will often be more open to shooting their hobby or going as a group each getting their individual shots done and some together. (It becomes a get together as much as a photoshoot.) (Dancing, sports (look at your local martial arts clubs, they love getting photos in their uniforms and in fighting stances for instance) If you approach one person and it gets to the group, you could easily end up with a bunch of volunteer models. Most of them would do it just to have the photos to post on Facebook / Instagram.
And if you dont have an in with any of these, search for them on FB. Most cities have local groups. (Theater groups love getting dressed up for photoshoots).
Cos-players are also always looking for photoshoots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back