Throw it!

JustinBloch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a shot from earlier today of Turbo's favorite toy.
dsc0004sg.jpg

Cute pup, and I like the photo but I see a few issues here. When dealing with a portraits, be they man or beast, the eyes are usually the key, you want to focus on them, it looks like you focused on the toy instead. Another issue is your aperture. Judging from your shutter speed (1/800) I doubt such a wide aperture was necessary to achieve a proper exposure. I know it's tempting when you get a really fast lens (capable of really wide apertures) to shoot everything wide open. This is a mistake for several reasons. Firstly, shooting with such a wide aperture narrows your depth of field to such an extent that it can be difficult if not impossible to get everything you want in focus. Secondly, lenses are never at their sharpest when used wide open. It is best to stop a lens down by one or two full stops if you can. There are other reasons not to shot wide open but these are the two most at play in this image. By focusing on Turbo's eyes and using a smaller aperture you could have gotten both him and his favorite toy in focus.

First impressions: Not bad, but a lot of it is fuzzy - only the football/toy and his nose seem to really be in focus. I would have shot him a little to the left for a "thirds" effect (Google "rule of thirds"), rather than put his head right in the middle of the picture.

I agree, I was going for his toy, almost to make it 3D and pop out of the picture. But I am known to use f/1.8 too often. I'll work on using smaller apertures for portraits.

Most reactions

Back