Tiffen 3.0 nd filter?

yuvala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[h=1]Tiffen 3.0 nd filter[/h]
Is it a good nd filter?

I live in Israel and the ND filters are REALLY expensive and also hard to find, but I'm going to London next week and would like to buy one there. Found this in a certain store there.

I use Tiffen ND filters and have had no issues at all with them

Tiffen is a brand (I don't use them)

Much like many brands, they make different qualities of the same filter... different "models" of the same filter.

For example:

* 77mm ND 0.9 for $25 USD
Tiffen 77mm 0.9 ND Filter 77ND9 B&H Photo Video

vs

* 77mm ND 0.9 for $98 USD.
Tiffen 77mm Solid Neutral Density 0.9 Filter W77ND9 B&H Photo

The difference is in the quality of the glass... the more expensive being of higher quality. In the case of the two tiffen filters I linked of the same density and size, one has higher quality "white water" glass and better coatings. Whatever your decision, make sure you are buying the right one.

Tiffen is a brand (I don't use them)

Much like many brands, they make different qualities of the same filter... different "models" of the same filter.

For example:

* 77mm ND 0.9 for $25 USD
Tiffen 77mm 0.9 ND Filter 77ND9 B&H Photo Video

vs

* 77mm ND 0.9 for $98 USD.
Tiffen 77mm Solid Neutral Density 0.9 Filter W77ND9 B&H Photo

The difference is in the quality of the glass... the more expensive being of higher quality. In the case of the two tiffen filters I linked of the same density and size, one has higher quality "white water" glass and better coatings. Whatever your decision, make sure you are buying the right one.

Thank you. I didn't realize there were different qualities to the same product. The one I'm buying is pretty cheap but it's my first filter ever and I can't really afford anything more.. so I'll have to take it. It's around 60-70$, and it's a 10 stop so I guess it falls into the 'low-quality' section.

Something to consider:

Before digital I shot a lot of formats, I needed filters for.every thread size from 52 to 82mm and that is a LOT of filters!

I also shot moving images so I opted for getting cine filters, more expensive but one of each sized 4x4 inches (larger in some cases as graduated ones) and a kit from LEE with ONE quite affordable adapter for every thread size saved me a lot of cash and space. The LEE kit allowed me to use various filters at once plus a collapsiblelens shade!

The variety of cine filters out there is huge including combinations like an ND and warming filter, etc!

I could use the same filter on any lens, one filter for all, the only filters I did get one per thread size where the polarizers for obvious reasons.

One note, keep in mind that a #3 ND filter means one.stop, a #6 two stops, a #9 three stops and a #12 four stops!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Something to consider:

Before digital I shot a lot of formats, I needed filters for.every thread size from 52 to 82mm and that is a LOT of filters!

I also shot moving images so I opted for getting cine filters, more expensive but one of each sized 4x4 inches (larger in some cases as graduated ones) and a kit from LEE with ONE quite affordable adapter for every thread size saved me a lot of cash and space. The LEE kit allowed me to use various filters at once plus a collapsiblelens shade!

The variety of cine filters out there is huge including combinations like an ND and warming filter, etc!

I could use the same filter on any lens, one filter for all, the only filters I did get one per thread size where the polarizers for obvious reasons.

One note, keep in mind that a #3 ND filter means one.stop, a #6 two stops, a #9 three stops and a #12 four stops!

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the help.

Its not ND3 and not ND 0.3, it says "ND 3.0 10 stop filter". So I'm guessing its 10 stops then.

I won't be buying a new lens anytime soon.. so just wanted to know if this filter would be of a high quality. Or atleast average quality, usable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back