Tight Space - Group Shots

kirbym2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

You've been a wealth of information around lighting and setups for some upcoming shoots I have. My question now is how to structure group shots. I have some family that want an entire "family" shot - That is, parents and children. The largest grouping will be 6 (4 Adults, 2 Kids). My space is only about 8 feet wide. I can shoot from as far back as about 20 feet, but I'm feeling like it's going to be squished.

I'm working with a crop sensor, but have the option of using a 50mm 1.4, a 70-200mm 2.8, or a 17-50mm 2.8. What are your thoughts around posing, lens usage, and making the most of the tight situation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi KmH - 8 ft ceilings - speedlites for now - an SB600, and an SB900.

I'm working with a crop sensor, but have the option of using a 50mm 1.4, a 70-200mm 2.8, or a 17-50mm 2.8.

My preference is to use the longest lens I can get away with because I like the compression. You don't need 1.4 for a group shot. I wouldn't go any wider than f/4 from personal experience, and up to f/8 or f/11 if the light allowed. If the group is distant from the background, not even f/16 can hold the BG in focus, if you're compressed, so you'd be OK for a clean BG. If the group is on top of the BG, not even f/4 can blur it out, especially when you're backing off to fit it in. The main concern is getting the group in focus, minimizing the depth. When possible choose the BG. For posing ideas, search the Internet. Posing is too big a topic to learn here.

I'm working with a crop sensor, but have the option of using a 50mm 1.4, a 70-200mm 2.8, or a 17-50mm 2.8.

My preference is to use the longest lens I can get away with because I like the compression. You don't need 1.4 for a group shot. I wouldn't go any wider than f/4 from personal experience, and up to f/8 or f/11 if the light allowed. If the group is distant from the background, not even f/16 can hold the BG in focus, if you're compressed, so you'd be OK for a clean BG. If the group is on top of the BG, not even f/4 can blur it out, especially when you're backing off to fit it in. The main concern is getting the group in focus, minimizing the depth. When possible choose the BG. For posing ideas, search the Internet. Posing is too big a topic to learn here.

My biggest issue here is your comment around "when possible choose the BG" - What does that mean? I get shooting at f/8 for a group shot. I may be able to shoot at the wide end of my 70-200 to fit everyone in, but that will put me fairly far back in terms of subject to camera distance. Subject to background realistically will be 1-3 feet. I would expect closer to 1 foot. Once again this is simply due to the equipment I have.

I like the idea of shooting from above (a step or two) on the stepladder. I also understand the need to use the 17-50 in that scenario.

Are there any other thoughts on this?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back