Tilt-shift. Why not?

I was looking into tilt-shift photography and it is very impressive what you can do with it to everyday surroundings. It is amazing to say the least. So why are there practically no lenses to speak of for this type photography? If a strapping young lad like myself would be interested in investing into this type of photography, what lens brand would you recommend for a Nikon user?

I have the TSE 24mm mk1 and the tse 17mm .The cost on CPL's and ND filters are about 600.00 for the TSE 17.
One other option is a tc 1.4 extender will fit on the TSE 17 mm but will not on the TSE 24 MK 1 and I think the TSE 24 mk ll .

And I would like to try the TSE 45mm and the tse 90mm.
The TSE lens are heavy and IMO really a tripod lens, that I think you should photographed tethered.
I shoot product photography and landscape , and photographed a couple people with the TSE lens, I like mine.

It is also too bad that you limit yourself to your own limitations

You could buy a third party - rokinon, sigma,sanyung. Etc and adapters for tilt shift, and older nikon afd lens to lower your cost.

Or just practice, practice, practice what you have.

Learn more about your camera
You may have a "miniature" feature on your camera. Mine has one.
Check your retouch menu

Are we talking about the same thing? example
T/S can do that, but if that's all you want it for, it may be better to just learn to fake it in PP.

Well it may seem trivial, but i don't see it that way. I am very intrigued by this sort of lens. I'll educate myself some more and discover the different variables that enter into play before buying one of these. But i have to understand why the Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens for Nikon SYTS24-N is a good consideration as a tilt-shift in order to do that. This is very exciting to say the least.

A Lensbaby is a smaller version of a lens with some tilt shift capabilities. I have a couple of Lensbabies, an Original and a 2.0. I don't know with any of them if you can get the miniaturized look; with mine I can adjust the focus and then tilt and/or shift the lens. If you look up Lensbaby and find the company's site you should find samples of photos made with the lenses.

You might be interested in looking at LAFORET | VISUALS . I'm familiar with who Vincent Laforet is thru Sportsshooter and he's done a good bit of tilt shift photography.

That is incredible. Just incredible how it warps reality as we see it.

It appears that you don't understand the purpose of a tilt-shift lens. A tilt-shift lens is designed to MAXIMIZE the area in focus and depth of field in a photo. More importantly it is also used to correct perspective.

The gimmicky "selective focus" miniature type scenes are done by using the lens in the opposite way of which it is intended to be used. As others have said you can easily achieve the FAKE miniature effect by using any lens you already have and applying the effect in Photoshop or the like. I think I've even seen Instagram filters that do it.

Well i'll be damned. Yet even more reasons to buy one! And more variables to consider.

I'm probably going to get one eventually just because its cool. lol. You can get the look you're going for in post though. CS6 makes it very easy.

Bangkok TS by Ingerson Photo, on Flickr

If you were in my neck of the woods I would let you try out my tse lenses. The TSE 17mm lens is my favorite.
When I bought my TSE 17mm my plan was to sale my tse 24mm mk 1. I don't want to part with either of them.
I kick myself in the butt I didn't buy one before I went to the grand canyon last summer.

You can get the look you're going for in post though. CS6 makes it very easy.

I would argue that there is no comparison between having seen the changes manifest physically as you are taking the shot and doing some random shots and having no way of knowing how it will turn out. I'm an amateur enthusiast, to me these differences are important.

There are many things you can do with a T/S lens.

If you're just after a "look" you can just use software or a cheaper variant like a lensbaby. When a tool is used to take away sharpness or some similar quality, you can generally just use software. T/S lenses are also used to add sharpness, by placing the plane of focus along whatever it is you're shooting.

If you want to add sharpness in that way, you can use focus stacking techniques to get the same sorts of increased depth of field, but that too has limitations.

The actual usage scenarios where you actually need a T/S lens are pretty limited, but they're still out there. Also, of course, with experience they're more efficient. You can get it right in camera rather than focus-stacking a bunch of frames.

In smaller formats you get more depth of field anyways, so the technical uses for T/S lenses, to "add sharpness" or "add DoF" are less relevant.

T/S lenses are pretty necessary for architectural shots, otherwise you'll end up with a lot of keystoning with wide lenses.

I don't mind it because it seems really dramatic, but for someone trying to sell their home or building, they probably want as accurate a representation as possible lol

T/S lenses are pretty necessary for architectural shots, otherwise you'll end up with a lot of keystoning with wide lenses.

I don't mind it because it seems really dramatic, but for someone trying to sell their home or building, they probably want as accurate a representation as possible lol

So that's what that effect is called that is caused by a wide angle lens.

It appears that you don't understand the purpose of a tilt-shift lens. A tilt-shift lens is designed to MAXIMIZE the area in focus and depth of field in a photo. More importantly it is also used to correct perspective.

The gimmicky "selective focus" miniature type scenes are done by using the lens in the opposite way of which it is intended to be used. As others have said you can easily achieve the FAKE miniature effect by using any lens you already have and applying the effect in Photoshop or the like. I think I've even seen Instagram filters that do it.

Exactly!

http://cdn.zmescience.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/nature7.jpg

That picture was also made with a tilt-shift. I saw it at the wildlife photographer of the year 2012 expo, thought it was really cool. :D
Apparently the focus plane was rotated 90 degrees so it was horizontal to the camera, which is why only the center horizontal line in the image is in focus.

So that's what that effect is called that is caused by a wide angle lens.

Yeah, it's basically when lines appear to lean.

Like in this photo. The building looks like it's leaning into the middle, because I was down low with my camera pointed up at the building at 24mm. If I had the camera at eye level, the walls would look much more straight. That's where a T/S lens helps. (I've never owned one so I'm not exactly sure how to do it) but you can change the lens's position to the sensor plane to compensate for the keystoning effect.

Most reactions

Back