Tilt-shift. Why not?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking into tilt-shift photography and it is very impressive what you can do with it to everyday surroundings. It is amazing to say the least. So why are there practically no lenses to speak of for this type photography? If a strapping young lad like myself would be interested in investing into this type of photography, what lens brand would you recommend for a Nikon user?

So why are there practically no lenses to speak of for this type photography?
There are quite a few, actually. It's a bit specialized, so they're not going to offer one in every focal length...

and... they cost serious money.

Buy one
Try it
And tell us what you think

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking into tilt-shift photography and it is very impressive what you can do with it to everyday surroundings. It is amazing to say the least. So why are there practically no lenses to speak of for this type photography? If a strapping young lad like myself would be interested in investing into this type of photography, what lens brand would you recommend for a Nikon user?

Shoot with a large format camera and every lens is a tilt shift lens.

If you really want to understand tilt and shift in photography then learn the scheinflug principle.

So its commercially not all that viable and its price bump is a bit high for aspiring photographers. What a shame, there is no telling what might have been if some young upstart got really into it.

So its commercially not all that viable and its price bump is a bit high for aspiring photographers. What a shame, there is no telling what might have been if some young upstart got really into it.
What's stopping you?

In what ways do you feel that the current T/S offerings fall short?

What's stopping you?

I don't know enough about these lenses to make any sort of decision. But i am impressed by the miniature like cityscape photos.

It is also too bad that you limit yourself to your own limitations

You could buy a third party - rokinon, sigma,sanyung. Etc and adapters for tilt shift, and older nikon afd lens to lower your cost.

Or just practice, practice, practice what you have.

Learn more about your camera
You may have a "miniature" feature on your camera. Mine has one.
Check your retouch menu

You could buy a third party - rokinon, sigma,sanyung. Etc and adapters for tilt shift, and older nikon afd lens to lower your cost.

Check your retouch menu

Are we talking about the same thing? example

Check your retouch menu

Probably not because you are always changing the scope of your question

Check your retouch menu

T/S can do that, but if that's all you want it for, it may be better to just learn to fake it in PP.

What's stopping you?

I don't know enough about these lenses to make any sort of decision. But i am impressed by the miniature like cityscape photos.

The miniature effect you can get is hardly utilizing a tilt shift lens to its potential. If all you want is the miniature effect you can easily do that in post processing software.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back