Time for some new equipment (suggestions/opinions needed)

So...looking at the Benro Backpacker....with its FIVE twist locks per leg...so, only fifteen frigging locks to un-lock and lock, to get to full height. Which leads the typical user to just say, "Screw it...the camera's fine where it is right now, at THIS height! " See, that's the essential issue with a tripod designed to be compact for CARRY and for being stowed...the overall length is made very short, at the expense of a whole series of three, or four, or even FIVE leg logs, per leg. On a tiny 'pod, that means that even a moderate height adjustment or repositioning of the camera entails at least SIX leg lock adjustments...

THIS issue is why there are two, three, four, and five-section designs on the market. The more you actually USE a tripod, the more valuable it is to have fewer leg locks and sections to worry about, in all ways (stability,rigidity,lock life,speed of positioning, ease of leveling,etc). The more you PACK a tripod, the more valuable it "might be" to you to go with a lighter weight and shorter overall length.

It's a smart one, Derrel.
You can do only ONE twist per leg. Three in total.
Very easy, fast and secure. Works really well, in fact.

How does a 5-section leg have only three locks?

The video shows FOUR leg locks required to be manipulated, to go from about a foot, to full height, so four leg locks times three legs equals a dozen leg locks.

Last edited:
That's what I mean, Derrel (start seeing at 05min):

That's all. It's easy. I never had a problem myself.
All my best.

I already watched the video. I can count to FOUR, dude.

Set the tripod up outdoors with a camera on top. Not on the couch.

Outdoors, set up all three legs. THEN, adjust the tripod. Adjust three legs. Count the number of leg locks that you have to dick around with. You know...not on level ground. In actual use.

I am talking about actually USING the tripod, not dicking around with it on a couch.

Outdoors, set up all three legs. THEN, adjust the tripod. Adjust three legs. Count the number of leg locks that you have to dick around with. You know...not on level ground. In actual use.

I am talking about actually USING the tripod, not dicking around with it on a couch.

Understood. Don't buy it. Simple. Doesn't work for you.
It works for me, though, outdoors. Pretty nicely. It's perfect for my constant travels. Very light, easy, sturdy and fast to use. :)

I can see both sides to this. I like how the MeFOTO works, although I am a bit cautious as this is my first tri-pod. Can you take a look at this link for a Manfrotto and let me know which you think is the better buy? There are only 2 of these available at the $178 price from Amazon.

Amazon.com Manfrotto MK190XPRO33W 190 Aluminum 3 Section Kit Black Camera Photo

Thanks again for all the input and discussion, its been a huge help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

It works for me, though, outdoors. :)

Not so simply. You were flat out incorrect on saying it has only three leg locks. It has FOUR leg locks. Times three legs. That is ONE DOZEN leg locks. The next time you feel like stepping in to "correct me"...make sure you know what you're talking about...okay?

And do not try and show a couch demo on a tripod with no camera on it as being representative of how a tripod is actually used in the real world.

My point earlier is this is a packable pod...it's a foot long collapsed and three inches over four feet tall at max height...51 inches or so...

It's cute. It packs well. I get it. it works for you, great. Not everybody wants a four foot tall tripod...but if they do, and want 15 leg sections...well...great.

It works for me, though, outdoors. :)

Not so simply. You're were flat out incorrect on saying it has only three leg locks. it has FOUR leg locks. TImes three legs. THat is ONE DOZEN leg locks. THe next time you feel like stepping in to "correct me"...make sure you know what you're talking about...

I did not try to correct you. You're upset for little or nothing.
Sorry if you felt bad about it. Not my intention - far from it.

It still works for me, outside, in the real world, with constant international travel everywhere etc. The video shows how it operates, just that. You know I'm not implying a coach demo... come on... We're all smart enough in here. And I understand it doesn't for you. That's okay! Simple.

Last edited:
I have also decided on the Tamrom 70-300mm that I posted originally
I recommend the Vanguard tripod, I have one and like it.
1wjfq

I ended up going with the Manfrotto deal I found. It was almost half price for the "like new" one from Amazon's warehouse.

I have also decided on the Tamrom 70-300mm that I posted originally
I recommend the Vanguard tripod, I have one and like it.
1wjfq

I ended up going with the Manfrotto deal I found. It was almost half price for the "like new" one from Amazon's warehouse.

that works (but I'm not sure it's a deal)

A tripod like that for 1/2 the cost of new. Its "like new", still in the box from Amazon. Seems like a deal to me, better than all the other deals I found within my price range. Plus its the highest rated tripod in my range also, everyone that bought it raved about it, not one person gave it less than 5 stars when reviewing it.

Looks like a nice tripod. For half of retail even a better tripod. :encouragement:

Most reactions

Back