Time to get it together

limeblu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I need to get organized so I can get to work. I will be using lightroom and elements and cs6. I have thousands of images on disc,memory cards and hard drives. I have a 3TB hard drive to put them on and would like to access them from either of 2 computers I own running Lightroom. I just need a starting point,where do I put catalog, what folders to create etc. For now I would like all images within a single folder/catalog? And then organize within by year/month etc.
Please help me get started, I figure if I get started off right. I can do it once and be organized. I just want all images on external drivers so no matter where I am, ii can work as long as there is Lightroom. Ty sorry so long, and hope as Lightroom pro will chime in.

Use raid drives :) My advice from a big nerd... Just for saftey and speed... If you have the money...

IMHO, RAID is not a substitute for backup unless it is "mirroring." As for system.. LR lrcat, db files and images on the same drive is most suitable for access from multiple computers. But it make the connection mandatory.

If all your files are under one roof, a single event can take them all out.

Fire, theft, flood, tornado etc...........

If all your files are under one roof, a single event can take them all out.

Fire, theft, flood, tornado etc...........
Been there, done that... still haven't learned.
Off site storage/backup is still an issue... my "key" is uploading my best shots online... A "dependent" plan at best...

so can anybody give me the short version of how to set up the hard drive files to accept my images. Also would it be better to organize my files by year, month subject etc. before even incorporating light room?

RAID isn't backup, it's redundancy. If a drive fails, you're still working. If a file system craps out, it duplicates to both drives and ruins both. Use some kind of offsite backup- Carbonite is 50 bucks a year, not exactly a ton of cash.

As far as the organization, OP, can you organize your pictures into folders by year, then by event? Map the folders in the drive to lightroom, keep the lightroom catalog on the drive... as long as the drive is plugged in and mounted correctly, Lightroom should just "See" it appropriately. You may have to manually sync the folders, though, if changes have been made on another computer.

Most reactions

Back