Time Zero film changes - an update!

so are we gonna be ok with this kerfuffle?
I've only just noticed this post and I only bought an SX-70 on friday!!! :( :( :(
I've had a hard enough job getting hold of some film - i ended up getting 'sx-70 film' and it doesn't say 'time zero' on it anywhere so i'm worried now i won't be able to get the right stuff anywhere.... waaaaaaaaaaaaa

captain-spanky said:
so are we gonna be ok with this kerfuffle?
I've only just noticed this post and I only bought an SX-70 on friday!!! :( :( :(
I've had a hard enough job getting hold of some film - i ended up getting 'sx-70 film' and it doesn't say 'time zero' on it anywhere so i'm worried now i won't be able to get the right stuff anywhere.... waaaaaaaaaaaaa
I wouldn't sweat the packaging - Polaroid has different names for the same products sold worldwide. I can't purchase "Polacolor 100" sheet film in the states, only Type 79 - which, lo and behold, says "Polacolor 100" on each sheet! :lol:

I'd call the technical assistance # and give them the lot# off what you just bought, to see if it's one of those *troubled* batches. I think ultimately it's going to be fine - just a manufacturing glitch we may never really know the details of. ;)

Hi

This is bad news surely!

http://www.polaroid.com/sx70/en/index.html

Are any of you up for starting a petition to convince Polaroid not to do this? Also I think it was highly cynical of them to make the film un-manipulative prior to this anouncement. Lets apply some pressure!

Alternatively, does anyone know of plans for an alternative manufacturer of the Time zero / sx70 film types.

A sad/frustrated manipulator...

I guess I'll be buying a whole lot of film in the near future...

I don't know if anyone makes anything like the time zero film. I only wish I did.

Hmmmm, I fear handwriting was already on the wall. :thumbdown: They've been through bankruptcy and are no doubt still in survival mode, so they're going to cut where they have to.

How awful. :irked:

It will be interesting to see if anyone can pick up the rights to the original formula and start charging fifty bucks for a 2-pack.

And, since he always hated the manipulations, I think somewhere ol' Edwin Land is laughing his ass off and going :greenpbl: .

I'm wondering, if you superheat a 600 pic with a hairdryer, will it manipulate...??

Think I may try - anyone know?

Seems stupid cutting off the SX70 route, as I'm sure Polaroid sell many other products through artists who love their SX70 cameras, hence are introduced to other Polarid media. Certainly know that's the case with me.

I get the feeling Polaroid are probably too blinkered to sell the SX70 rights on to anyone else (at this point in time at least). Also I can't believe this, but they've actually removed all SX70 manipulated pictures from their featured artist galleries. What are they, Nazis!?

eggboyuk said:
I'm wondering, if you superheat a 600 pic with a hairdryer, will it manipulate...??

Think I may try - anyone know?

Seems stupid cutting off the SX70 route, as I'm sure Polaroid sell many other products through artists who love their SX70 cameras, hence are introduced to other Polarid media. Certainly know that's the case with me.

I get the feeling Polaroid are probably too blinkered to sell the SX70 rights on to anyone else (at this point in time at least). Also I can't believe this, but they've actually removed all SX70 manipulated pictures from their featured artist galleries. What are they, Nazis!?
What?!? Hey!!! I'm a featured artist over there! :irked: I'm gonna go check it out.

What's the point of such a move? :scratch: Are they trying to pretend SX-70 manips never existed? What kinda Big Brother bs is that? I'm confused.....

Yep, that's what it looks like. That's what I'm questioning - what is the point of removing all the SX-70 work?

I'll be interested in reading what some of their "Creative Consultants" have to say, people like Kathleen Carr in particular. Right now, I don't believe any other emulsion formula works like Time Zero.

I suppose there will be people out there who will want to continue to shoot their beloved SX-70 Land cameras and will go through the conversion to get type 600 film in there, figuring out how to get around the film speed difference. I just don't know that I'll be one of them.

Wonder how this will impact the Daylab Corp. Everyone's expensive SX-70 bases are suddenly nice plastic antiques. :x

Nice work btw Terri. Haven't yet got round to putting any of my pics up on Polaroid - and now thy're not displaying manips I'm kind of disappointed as I have many...

Who knows about large format Polaroid backs. Thinking of branching into this...

terri said:
Yep, that's what it looks like. That's what I'm questioning - what is the point of removing all the SX-70 work?

They don't want to encourage anyone, that's why they made the film unmanipulable prior to the announcement. Cynical eh...

We're already paying about 50 bucks in the UK for a twin pack of SX70 btw.

eggboyuk said:
terri said:

They don't want to encourage anyone, that's why they made the film unmanipulable prior to the announcement. Cynical eh...

We're already paying about 50 bucks in the UK for a twin pack of SX70 btw.
Admittedly, I haven't bought any for a while - I still have about 2 packs at home - but last time I checked it was about $22 for a 2 pack.

I've had the same cynical thoughts. Again, I am really going to enjoy reading Kathleen Carr's comments - and she had better make some. ;) No one likes to be *manipulated*; if they needed to dump the product due to financial constraints, please just say so. They spun the last unmanipulable batch as a "manufacturing glitch". I don't want to see the film disappear, certainly, but I can appreciate the cost of its exclusivity in today's market.

eggboyuk said:
Nice work btw Terri. Haven't yet got round to putting any of my pics up on Polaroid - and now thy're not displaying manips I'm kind of disappointed as I have many...

Who knows about large format Polaroid backs. Thinking of branching into this...
Oh, and thank you for the kind words. Looks like the price of my Sx-70 stuff just went up. ;)

I've not used a large format Polaroid back, nothing bigger than the 4x5 sheet film. :)

Start a new thread and post some of your manipulations; discontinued film or not, I always enjoy viewing others' work. :D

I will indeed, just signed up to this yesterday, (in an SX70 fueled rage). Will post up some pics in an hour or two - being chased to do some work here!

eggboyuk said:
I will indeed, just signed up to this yesterday, (in an SX70 fueled rage). Will post up some pics in an hour or two - being chased to do some work here!
Work - what's that?? :lol: Do what I do and ignore it! Kidding....will look for your stuff whenever you have a chance to post it.

And welcome to TPF, btw! Even under such trying circumstances, there are several of us here on the "Polaroid team" who welcome the chance to greet a new member. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back