Tips and Tricks for Keeping kids still

FemFugler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i was wondering for those who have kids, or who photograph kids if they have any tips or trick on how to photograph young kids. Specifically babies and toddlers which can be difficult to get to either stay still or stop crying or whatever. Of there's the whole 'make a funny face' but I've seen the people at wal mart do that, it barely works lol. So what do you guys do? Do you just fire a whole bunch 'snapshots' and hope that at least one turned out ok?

Also i'd like to add that i am talking for more a portrait type picture. Not children at natural play or whatever, i'm talking like posing for the camera. If they were at natural play it would be SO much easier.

The reason why i ask is because i applied for a job at a local department store and they saw one of my interests as photography and now they want to give me a job in the portrait centre (god help me!) And most of the people who come in are kids....

Last edited:
The only time mine ever sit still is if they're watching TV... Or sleeping.

use enough light with fast shutter speed LOL. Also if it is younger than 18 months you can try a duster (clean one) and tickle their face with the feather.

I think it is more about timing, you can have the best kid in the world and not be a good day.
I also think it is about wait time, a parent comes to a studio with a kid freshly dressed and fed because they schedule their day around the appointment time, then having to sit in the waiting area for 30 minutes or an hour is really stressful on the parent and the kid.
I have never found a good portrait person in like JCPenny or Sears, or the like, they always overbook.
Plus I have the backgrounds.... lol

General anesthesia :p

Hit them over the head with a 2x4!

Seriously, this is one aspect of photography I would not want to get into because of that problem. But, hey, if you manage to figure it out, think of the future possibilities.

There is a whole health-care subspecialty dealing with the issue of making children comfortable and cooperative in difficult situations -- including Master's Degree training. It's called "Child Life" and I wonder if any of those folks would be interested in making a few extra $$ by helping out a child photographer :)

Child Life Council : Overview Of Child Life Council

The main problem I have is that as soon as my daughter sees the camera, she comes running over to play with it. :lol:

I have maybe 2 seconds to take the picture before she gets up and starts running to me.

Same thing with the camera bag in general - if it's open, I can't get her out of it long enough to take a picture.

The main problem I have is that as soon as my daughter sees the camera, she comes running over to play with it. :lol:

I have maybe 2 seconds to take the picture before she gets up and starts running to me.

Same thing with the camera bag in general - if it's open, I can't get her out of it long enough to take a picture.

It's time to get her a camera and then you can take her picture while she plays with it!

tell 'em they'll die if they move

Most reactions

Back