Tips for low light "surprise" shoot...

Try to use available light as natural light plus whatever is there is often the best.

Bounce flash and be there.

View attachment 168693 View attachment 168693 View attachment 168694 View attachment 168695 QView attachment 168693 Sorry my mistake - lights are tungsten but all overhead.
It would be cool if all the "customers" were players. A couple of them would stand up and hold a flash or a reflector, and they would all break out into song.

Lol... too bad it's after closing!

Well if she's the owner I think she's gonna see you sneak in and hide...., no??
Be ready for the cops to haul you away long before you pop out!!! LoL
Maybe go in with your camera and start to talk to her about doing an add for the Salon. The boyfriend walks in right behind you and politely interrupts the both of you and starts to propose and you shoot. No popping out necessary. No being hauled out in cuffs for breaking and entering!
Problem solved!
It's still a surprise but this time YOU'RE in on it!!!
SS

View attachment 168693 View attachment 168693 View attachment 168694 View attachment 168695 QView attachment 168693 Sorry my mistake - lights are tungsten but all overhead.
It would be cool if all the "customers" were players. A couple of them would stand up and hold a flash or a reflector, and they would all break out into song.

Lol... too bad it's after closing!

Well if she's the owner I think she's gonna see you sneak in and hide...., no??
Be ready for the cops to haul you away long before you pop out!!! LoL
Maybe go in with your camera and start to talk to her about doing an add for the Salon. The boyfriend walks in right behind you and politely interrupts the both of you and starts to propose and you shoot. No popping out necessary. No being hauled out in cuffs for breaking and entering!
Problem solved!
It's still a surprise but this time YOU'RE in on it!!!
SS

Thanks for the idea but she won't be there when I arrive lol. This is happening after hours. She closes up around 6 and we are arriving at 7 to set up. She will be lured back to the salon by a "building emergency" around 8:00, so everything including boyfriend will be set up when she walks in.

I was able to convince him to let me set up my strobes and leave them in place. It was the only way to guarantee I could catch the seconds-long moment when she walks in and reacts.

Thank you all for your ideas though!

Well, how did it go?
Photos?

Hi! The end result wasn't exactly what I had envisioned but the subjects were cleanly lit and they were very happy with the results. It was tough not being able to direct them in the beginning and having stationary lights as they were moving around in a tight space.

I'll post when I have a chance to resize

Most reactions

New Topics

Back