Tips on shooting night mardi gras parades...

nola.ron

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone offer any tips of shooting a mardi gras parade at night? This is the first weekend of mardi gras and I had a blast shooting some parades during the day today. I didn't try any tonight because I didn't think I could pull it off and/or probably didn't have the gear. I saw a few others on DSLRs shooting without flash though so I wonder if I can do it with any of my combos?

Here's an example of what I would love to catch at night:
2013 Sparta Parade | NOLA.com

Gear:
D3000
18-55 non VR
55-200 non VR
50mm 1.8G

The floats can be loaded with light, find the light and shoot tight. Mid range ISO, perhaps shooting in aperture priority mode and be ready to adjust the exposure compensation.

Use your 50mm 1.8g and crank up the ISO until you feel that your pictures are taking a beating. If all the floats have that much light then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you auto focus doesn't work well at night then manual focus.

Thanks guys! Going to try this week for Muses!

i'd be very interested in seeing these pictures. can you post them?

I have a strong feeling you may want your long lens as the 50 may not be tight enough even if you get in the front I use my 55 and just gave up I was just to far away to get a good tight shot with it

Most reactions

New Topics

Back