Titles

Curious......... the QUOTE button doesn't seem to work for you abraxas. (Just out of curiousity, I tried the quote button on Yemme, just above you and it worked... FYI)

On the internet, I believe so- Otherwise it's an endless stream of file numbers. Creative titles are far more interesting and can attract or repel the viewer. It's the artist's choice.

Example titles for the same photo:

1 12345678
2 My Kitten
3 A humorous photo of my cat
4 A photo of a cat in a baby doll bonnet
5 Check out my pretty *****

Of those five examples, which one would you choose for uploading to the internet for forum viewing, which one would be titled for a copious fund rasing gallery showing, which one would be titled for the immediate family to look at, which one of the titles would be used to show a fellow photographer.... and what would my grandmother think?

I believe that circumstances will shape our intention, to some degree, consciously or not. The familiarity of close relations, to the anonymity of the internet and all the way to a proper gallery showing where your name is succinct to quality imagery; all have their own destiny as far as titleing is concerned. I find it fascinating human behaviour.

EDIT------\
Now I know why...................... :lol:

Of those five examples, which one would you choose for uploading to the internet for forum viewing, which one would be titled for a copious fund rasing gallery showing, which one would be titled for the immediate family to look at, which one of the titles would be used to show a fellow photographer.... and what would my grandmother think?

I believe the deleted message was regarding the web specifically. For the web, #5 for me. However I do not believe I would ever take such a photo, or post it if I did. If for some reason karma catches up with me (again) and I do take such, I'm pretty certain my intent would be influenced by my sarcastic sense of humor. One shot I made I keep thinking of is of the local City Hall- I titled it, "the Dronery." I could have called it, "City Hall", but that didn't reflect my intent as strongly as the title I gave it. Of course the end product was specifically for the web and a release of anxiety I felt for a former employer.

I believe that circumstances will shape our intention, to some degree, consciously or not. The familiarity of close relations, to the anonymity of the internet and all the way to a proper gallery showing where your name is succinct to quality imagery; all have their own destiny as far as titleing is concerned. I find it fascinating human behaviour.

I agree. The reason I brought this up is the requirements of several exhibitions I'm in the application process for. Although several of the same images may be used in these exhibits, the titles must change or be non-existant. One requires captions describing what I was thinking- :) Out of the batch, several are destined for books and have other requirements. All of the selected images will eventually be incorporated as untitled but captioned documentation photos for one of my websites. ... and so on, ... blah, blah, blah ...

So I just got to thinking about how much I enjoy the potential of puting titles to photos I post on the web. I even like to change titles between forums I post on. Sometimes it cracks me up.

I think Ann brought up something useful about signing untitled photos. I can be comfortable with that. But for the web, I figure whatever it takes to make myself happy. I do try to be respectful, but not too formal. Titles are interchangable.

Interesting responses.

Somehow I think it is real important for your personal work. Other then that I just add keywords and dates. For me it is slightly harder to add titles in LightRoom. I think it is going to bite me in the butt soon.

Love & Bass

Now I understand your inquisition..... sorry, I meant your questionioning is understandable. I fully believe you will choose the correct title with the correct audience for the correct exhibition. I cannot give any solice for titles, but from my observation, you have a good handle on the effect. "Opportunity" (of recent) comes to mind..... that one dude, hits home.

(Just out of curiousity, I tried the quote button on Yemme, just above you and it worked... FYI)

You tried a quote button on me without asking permission first.....:naughty:

Last edited:
How do you title your photos?

Do you view titles as a necessary evil, or do you use them to effect the viewer experience?

Do you just stick with literal titles, or use puns and trickery?

Why does it matter, or not?

Well, it varies, it depends on the photo at hand really. Some times I seek to effect the viewer and preemptivly sway the thought process to fit my vision:

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3

Other times I would just rather drop a large pile of smelly punnage just to get a giggle out of people. Some times it is the joke, others are leading into the joke.

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3

Still yet there are times where no joke is appropriate, nor can anything catchy be utilized, for those it is simply what the viewer is looking at or the literal title as you put it.

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3

And then there is the dreaded ???

Example #1
Example #2
Example #3

As for why it matters...Why do people have a name, I suppose it gives the photo a bit of individuality or separation from the stuff in the trashcan. something to call it based on what it is....I dunno, it's just gotta be there especially where the net is conserned.

How do you title your photos?
I tend to title my photos on the literal side in most cases mainly because I do a lot of commercial work and it's necessary to be a straightforward with titles on those as possible. For my nature and wildlife photos I like to be creative with the titles to an extent but when you have 20 photos of moose it is hard to be creative with all of them. ;)

Do you view titles as a necessary evil, or do you use them to effect the viewer experience?
I think its important to title an image but not to enhance the viewers experience but when you have a business selling prints of your work it makes it easier to decipher the work orders and keep track of limited editions.

Do you just stick with literal titles, or use puns and trickery?
Like I said above I use literal titles on my commercial work and a little of both in my personal stuff

Why does it matter, or not?
I think it matters to some people what the title is because they look at some photos and wonder where it was taken or what the photographer was thinking or feeling when he or she took the photo. Now granted the photo should convey this in some form but it's not always evident, or it is and some people need a title to give them some help

The only time I title my photographs are when I absolutely have to. And when I do I call them what the picture is of. For example, "sunset in the Wasatch mountains", "girl at beach", etc etc...

I think naming photographs, especially really artsy creative ones, can lead the viewer to only look at, or think about, what the title suggests about the picture. I think the viewer should think of their own name for the photograph.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back