To all noobs and old timers both: STRONG words of wisdom!!!!!

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First: To the moderators of the forum, you can re-direct this post as you see fit. I just figured it would be good advice to anyone...

A VERY strong word of wisdom to the ever so most wise of us all…

In the Boy Scouts, I was taught that when you lay down your back pack, be sure to get it to rest on the bottom of the pack, or on the outside. (The side that faces away from your back.)

Well Mr. Boy Scout here done gone forgot this lesion and thus I pass these words of wisdom on to y’all…DON’T LAY DOWN YOUR PACK WITH THE STRAP SIDE DOWN ON AN OLD CACTUS PATCH!!!!

PICT0079.jpg

For those who are unfamiliar with Nopalas Cactus, (leaf cactus with the purple buds) the thorns are long, and have these tiny “needle” spines that get under your skin and bite you like parasites for days. They are difficult to get out, and need to be washed with warm water. Then, you can go after them with tweezers.

So now the question is: Do I buy a $90.00 bag, or $3.00 on duck tape and two hours of time?

Teatime.jpg

Oh, my - what a mess!

I've actually done that before - well, not in a cactus quite that dangerous, but set it down where some sticky things stuck all to it and required some clean-up.

Very good words of advice!

The biggest problem with my photo-backpack is the way it sits. To get into the main compartment, it has to be laid down (on the back)...and also, mine has a rain cover that packs into the bottom...which makes it very hard to stand up.

I don't have any photos of it but I bought a cheap ($19.99) backpack at some place specializing in luggage stuff, got a piece of 5" foam, and made my own photo backpack. I'm too cheap to pay $100-200 for a "real" camera pack. If it get damaged, I'll just make another one. Maybe you can find a shell that will accomodate the liners from yours.

My experiences with cactus would lead me to throw it out. You'll probably get neddled when you use the duct tape. If you do save it I would use a vacuum (Hoover) after the tape. Its the fine needles that get you!

Interesting, that word 'wisdom.' No college catalog lists a course labelled 'Wisdom 101.' Lots of courses on facts. None on wisdom. At any college. In any land.

Folklore, that vast compendium of the knowledge of the species humorously defined as H. sapiens, has it that wisdom is the province of the old. I'm old and so I'm probably competent, according to folklore, to dispense bits of it here and there. Wisdom, by the by, is something that when you hear it, you recognize it for what it is.

For almost any venture [including the backpack] there are three words that apply: Good, fast, cheap.

Pick any two. You won't get the third.

Looking for more wisdom? Send me a private eMail. I've accumulated a bit of it in almost 3/4 century.

Soocom1 said:
So now the question is: Do I buy a $90.00 bag, or $3.00 on duck tape and two hours of time?

That probably depends on the amount of disposable cash you have vs how bad getting the odd cactus spike in you is. It sounds like that's a bad-ass cactus, so I'd be thinking about getting another bag!

Rob

Torus34 said:
For almost any venture [including the backpack] there are three words that apply: Good, fast, cheap.

Pick any two. You won't get the third.

i totally agree with this logic. and from my short experience, i have found that the two combinations easiest to find are cheap and fast, or good and fast. good and cheap rarely end up even in the same sentence :D but cheap is relative... but im poor....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back