To B&W, or not to B&W: that is the question!

Valls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am no Prince Hamlet but I very often find myself hanging on the edge of the overly saturated (heh) question on the thread title... to B&W or not to B&W?
I'll leave this one for y'all!
_MG_5439.jpg

_MG_5439.jpg

I will also love to hear your feedback on the shots! :)
--,,--
Canon 70d + 50mm f/1.8
for those of you who saw my punching bag thread, this was shot using the same 2s exposure + manual flash "technique"!

The color version is better. B&W version has lost the mid-tones.

Thanks! I have actually treated them both differently in post! I usually like my B&W more contrasty and with some pure white and pure black spots! Think they look more flattering (and true B&W) this way.. Though I maybe have overdone it in this one! haha

I usually like my B&W more contrasty and with some pure white and pure black spots! Think they look more flattering (and true B&W) this way..
Some pure white and pure black is O.K., but I think good B&W has always been the full range of tones, which includes mid-range values. Refresh your memory by looking at some good B&W photographs that were make in the film era.

I agree with you (the OP) about overdoing it; the first is oversatured and the second is overdone in contrast. You'd probably do better making sure you get proper exposures so you have a good quality original, do less post, and start out making a little adjustment at a time.

I agree with you (the OP) about overdoing it; the first is oversatured and the second is overdone in contrast. You'd probably do better making sure you get proper exposures so you have a good quality original, do less post, and start out making a little adjustment at a time.
Thank you! I think i got the original good, so I'll try ease off a little on post!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I prefer the color, but may I suggest a crop. The black belt and the shadow from the right hand accentuate the man's belly, making it look round and protruding. Being very bright, it draws my eye to his stomach, when the interest of the photo is the face and form of arms and hands. Maybe burn the belly down, or crop like this?

_MG_5439.jpg

I forgot to say I think it could work in color or B&W, just with a lighter touch.

Is this of you? I like it, and I think too it could use a little less shadow under the arm, etc. I like the idea of some shadow and contrast, might just need some adjusting. If it's you, you've got a built in model! lol so I'd keep experimenting with it.

I prefer the color.

If you don't mind some critique, I think your highlights are a little too hot on his skin. This could indicate that the shot is maybe a little over exposed.

I only shoot B&W film these days and I may be a little biased but it has to be the B&W version for me although I think you have overdone the contrast a little - but that's a personal taste.

I prefer the color, but may I suggest a crop. The black belt and the shadow from the right hand accentuate the man's belly, making it look round and protruding. Being very bright, it draws my eye to his stomach, when the interest of the photo is the face and form of arms and hands. Maybe burn the belly down, or crop like this?

View attachment 186064
I like the idea! Though probably burning the belly is a bit more interesting, because showing the black belt adds to the story! I might try it!

I forgot to say I think it could work in color or B&W, just with a lighter touch.

Is this of you? I like it, and I think too it could use a little less shadow under the arm, etc. I like the idea of some shadow and contrast, might just need some adjusting. If it's you, you've got a built in model! lol so I'd keep experimenting with it.
Not me, but he's my Sensei! I could have him modeling again at anytime! haha Thanks for the idea! I'll give it a shot!

I prefer the color.

If you don't mind some critique, I think your highlights are a little too hot on his skin. This could indicate that the shot is maybe a little over exposed.
You mean, overexposed on post or in camera? Here's the shot as it was captured:
_MG_5439.jpg

Colour for me......
Thanks Jeff!

You mean, overexposed on post or in camera? Here's the shot as it was captured:
From the looks of it, in post. Do you do your editing in photoshop, and if so do you use adjustment layers? I personally use adjustment layers, and after I've made my adjustments I'll revisit each individual adjustment layer to reduce it's opacity; in most cases my initial changes are exaggerated, so going back and reducing each one a little bit gives me more subtle but also more effective results.

In these shots, I think you could reduce whichever adjustments you made that affect the exposure and contrast.

Most reactions

Back