"To dream the impossible dream ..."

As I posted on another Forum, there's more chance of Mammoths being re-introduced as we have their DNA, than new Kodachrome films. Many key chemicals are no longer made.

Ian

Much to my dismay, K-14 is history. RIP- 1935-2010.

Never a fan of Ektachrome, I was thrilled when Fujifilm introduced Velvia-50. Sharper than Kodachrome, I could process it myself, and I could actually view my pictures in decent light with little fear of them fading quickly. I said good riddance to Kodachrome somewhere around 1983, and Velvia-50 is still my color film of choice today. I also liked Agfachrome CT-50 better than Kodachrome.

Kodak introduces Kodachrome in 1913 :D Like Verichrome the name was reused later.

Ian
On April 15, 1935, Kodak unveiled Kodachrome film (they took the name from an unsuccessful, 1913 version of color film) for 16-mm motion pictures, and not long after that, began marketing film for still cameras and 8 mm movie cameras. Godowsky continued working with Kodak, and lived to age 82.

Kodachrome 25 was the best film ever made IMHO. I must have shot thousands of rolls and still have most of them. And still working on getting them digital, (probably will be for the rest of my life :icon_biggrin:).

And I too disliked Ektachrome, such a blue cast to it.

Never touched the stuff. Shot E100S and SW, along with cheapo Fuji Sensia and pro Provia 100F and Velvia. Lots up here apparently ditched it when the Canadian processing line in Hamilton, Ontario closed in the late '90s and shifted to the Fairlawn, NJ lab. It was Dwayne's only after that till the last roll.

For me, Kodachrome was the star of paralytically boring slide shows relatives inflicted on me as a kid.

Can't truly understand in 2022 who this Mueller guy expects to chip in.

But then quirky Ferrania managed to get on its feet again and limp along. Who knows?

Last edited:
On April 15, 1935, Kodak unveiled Kodachrome film (they took the name from an unsuccessful, 1913 version of color film) for 16-mm motion pictures, and not long after that, began marketing film for still cameras and 8 mm movie cameras. Godowsky continued working with Kodak, and lived to age 82.

The early, 1913, version of Kodachrome was a commercial success after it was adapted for use as 35mm motion picture film. Prior to that, it was only available as glass plates.

Sometimes Kodak don't get their history correct, like the 2004 50 years of Tri-X, which was being made just before WWII in 1939 and coated in at least 3 of the Kodak coating plants, Eastman Kodak, Rochester, and Kodak Ltd, Harrow, & Hungary. Probably Kodak Canada as well. Initially, Tri-X was only available as a sheet film, it was deemed too grainy for 120/35mm. Part of the new modern generation of Kodak films with Plus-X, Double-X, Super-X to match Ilford's Fine Grain Panchromatic (FP) and Hypersensitive Panchromatic (HP) but by the time of release Ilford had already introduced FP2 and HP2, and a year later 1941 FP3 & HP3, and these Ilford films were 2 generations ahead and far better.

I cut my teeth on 35mm ex UK Government/Military surplus stock FP3 &HP3 in the late 1960s. Apart from the emulsion being quite soft, as were all other films, they were not much different to today's films.

Kodak Ltd's plant in Hungary was built in 1922, it came under the control of Agfa during WWII, and became Forte after the war. Forte's films were based on pre-WWII Kodak technology.

Ian

Most reactions

Back