To frame or not to frame.... that is the question

wade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
While I will not deny that a properly done frame (esp when combined with other manipulations) presents a pretty face, should we be framing our images here?

Does it distract from the image itself?
When seeking criticisms and suggestions, does it interfere with helpful advice?

What do you guys think? I waver back and forth with the question, but will typically leave images unframed unless I am printing them or presenting them to the general public in some fashion.

Wade

A good frame can make an image really pop. If it were a photo contest I would vote "no frames" as it puts everyone on a equal footing where the photo is being judged and not the ability to frame it. However, if people are just showing and image well I'm not fussed whether a frame is included or not. It's up to the individual how they want to present it.

Having only posted a few shots here myself, I might just add that they have included a pretty ugly frame. That's because the frame was designed to fit with the background colour of my web site. In other words, I was too lazy to remove it :D

both :D

i've done a few frames in the past, but most times i dont do them .. sometimes its good ... but i think if the person is looking for an unbiased critique, i would leave out the frame. .. the frame may sway a person one way or the other.

I would agree that the frame definitely can alter the entire presentation of the picture, its mood, and entirely alter someone's perception of it.

I believe that any great picture can be framed to look even more exceptional, but the real challenge is to get the great photo to begin with. Afterall the better photo you begin with the better framed result.

With that said, I agree with Dew that if you want a real critique and opinon of the photo leave off the frame.

It dose not bother me either way for other people's photos, but on my I prefer the simple classic small white frame or none at all

I vote for the frame. I have seen some really well done frames before and I think it just adds to the photographers creativity.
they also make the picture look more pro 8)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back