What's new

To sell, or not to sell?

I was just looking at the two cameras (XSi, T2i), and I don't think I can justify buying the T2i. They really aren't all that different. If you really want a new body, jump lines to the 60D or 7D, that's where I could justify a difference (and exactly what I did, T1i to 7D).

Otherwise, invest in a nice lens like the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. Lenses hold their value better and they are just as (if not more) important than a good body. A great camera still produces crap with a crap lens.

Your camera with that lens would be better for a wedding than any new camera and your lens lineup.
 
Frankly, I would wait till tax time next year. If you are going to upgrade. UPGRADE! Save your money for a 7D or better yet a 5D or 5DMkII. SAVE your $800. Save some % from your paid shoots for it. Get MORE gigs. I don't think you have pushed your XSi to the limit yet, for what you do. You are still learning lighting. You will keep getting better, and you can keep upping your session price. Then having a better camera will matter even more.

Be sensible. Don't blow your wadd just because you have it. You will eventually want a 5D anyway.
I am willing to bet that even if you get the T2i, by this time next year, you will be posting here "Should I sell my T2i and get a 5DMkII?". I betcha!
 
Like others have said, if you're going to upgrade....then upgrade. Going from an old Rebel to a new Rebel, isn't really an "upgrade". It's a "Refresh".

An upgrade would be a 60D (lol) or a 7D (crop sensor) and 5D/5dmkII (full frame).

IMO...go 7D. I have a few friends that shoot with the 7D and it's amazing.
 
I agree with most of what has already been posted. Wait to upgrade until you can make a decent jump. The only thing a newer Rebel has over what you have now is video and one stop of ISO that isn't really printable. If you feel you have to upgrade now, don't settle for less than a 40/50D. Don't forget you'll need to get all new memory cards.
 
People today have a need to spend money once they get it.

I completely agree and I completely am that person... I need to learn... Maybe one of these years :( lol

I was just looking at the two cameras (XSi, T2i), and I don't think I can justify buying the T2i. They really aren't all that different. If you really want a new body, jump lines to the 60D or 7D, that's where I could justify a difference (and exactly what I did, T1i to 7D).

Otherwise, invest in a nice lens like the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L. Lenses hold their value better and they are just as (if not more) important than a good body. A great camera still produces crap with a crap lens.

Your camera with that lens would be better for a wedding than any new camera and your lens lineup.

I think I have decided against the body. The only thing that would be considered an upgrade that I can afford right now is the 40D. I was trying to see the specs side by side on the xsi and 40D and couldn't find them... I get too overwhelmed when I have to click back and forth between tabs in my browser to read things and I end up making an excel spreadsheet which ends up making 10 minutes of "research" turn into 3 hours of research... It's crazy!

I would LOVE to get that 24-70, but I can't do it for $1300. Is the non-L version still a pretty good lens? I might see if I can find the L version used for a decent price but any price with a comma in it really sends me into a buyer's remorse state of mind... I think that is something else I need to get past with this whole photography thing...

Frankly, I would wait till tax time next year. If you are going to upgrade. UPGRADE! Save your money for a 7D or better yet a 5D or 5DMkII. SAVE your $800. Save some % from your paid shoots for it. Get MORE gigs. I don't think you have pushed your XSi to the limit yet, for what you do. You are still learning lighting. You will keep getting better, and you can keep upping your session price. Then having a better camera will matter even more.

Be sensible. Don't blow your wadd just because you have it. You will eventually want a 5D anyway.
I am willing to bet that even if you get the T2i, by this time next year, you will be posting here "Should I sell my T2i and get a 5DMkII?". I betcha!

Yeah, you still rock! Jeez! lol

I completely understand where you're going with the whole wait until next year and REALLY upgrade... I know I haven't pushed my XSi to the limit and you're not the first to tell me that... I am also at a point though where I don't want to invest in my own studio lighting because I can borrow light kits from my school and they are pro quality gear. So I don't feel like I need to invest in my own studio lighting. Also because I don't use artificial light very often. I'm more at a point right now of needing to learn how to use my vivitar as fill... I need to get the hang of this "meter for the sky and use flash to fill" thing... I tried the other day and TOTALLY did not get it...

I've heard a lot lately about light meters as well since I've been working on the lighting thing. Can anyone recommend a good one for someone who's never seen one or used one before?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom