What's new

To Stretch or Not to Stretch?

Murray Bloom

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Messages
440
Reaction score
85
Location
Baltimore, MD
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was fooling around with a 3 MP point-and-shoot picture I shot in Shanghai about ten years ago, just to see what I could do with it. At one point I accidentally stretched it, but I sort of liked the result. So, I'm wondering which looks pictorially better. I originally liked how completely the building blocked one's view of the city.

Chinese Wall:

$Chinese Wall b.webp

. . . and the long Version:

$Chinese Wall b stretch.webp
 
I am liking the stretched version, but I would mess with distortion even more. If you are going to push the limits on reality, may as well go all the way! The long version still looks like it could have been shot that way, at least at first glance.
 
The first one is better. When I first viewed both, I thought it was that you had stretched it vertically, which is the better photograph. Then, after I read that it was stretched horizontally, and comparing the two, it is still the first (original) that I prefer.

If you want to know the reason why; it is because the large building has a dominant vertical expression, therefore the vertical lines should remain as the dominant theme.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom