Today at Lake Geneva

Jeremy Z

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Kate & I went here today for a nice walk and dinner. It was bloody cold, with the wind blowing off of the mostly frozen lake. We arrived right as the sun was setting.

Overall opinions? Things I might improve upon?

The one thing I see right away is that the snow looks a little bluish; I should have probably gone to the cloudy white balance setting...

#1 - Riviera Pier: 2s, f/11, 27mm equiv., from table-top tripod
lake_geneva_night_800.jpg

#2 - Some hearty souls out ice fishing: 1/750s, f/8, ISO 800, 27mm equiv., handheld
ice_fishermen_27Jan2007.jpg

#3 - Riviera Pier when it was still light out: 1/8s, f/4.5, ISO 400, 27mm equiv., w/circular polarizer, handheld
riveria_pier1_800.jpg

#4 - Ice detail: 1/8s, f/4.5, ISO 400, 27mm equiv., w/ circular polarizer, handheld
ice_on_lake_geneva_800.jpg

The blue snow in 2 does not bother me at all, I find the world turns a little blue around sunset, so I can easily accept blue snow at that hour.

Of the two views of Riviera Pier I much prefer the night shot to the dusk shot, for f11 works better for the overall scene with everything in focus than f4.5 does with the buildings a tad blurred. Makes me want to take off my glasses, wipe them, rub my eyes and see if I could not focus on the overall scene more (;)). But that could be just me. Some might like the focus on the ice only.

And, of course, f11 helped make the lights come out like little stars.

That is a good point about the apertures, I agree, a smaller aperture would have been better.

I didn't know the small aperture is what caused the star effect in the lights! Thanks for that little tidbit of knowledge!

Most reactions

Back