Tokina 24-70 f2.8

PaulWog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I didn't realize that Tokina released a 24-70 f2.8 lens. I have read some positive reviews, and the image quality seems good according to the-digital-picture and some sample images.

Does anyone have any opinions? Has anyone tried one out, or have any insight about the lens?

Considering ordering the lens... since the Canadian dollar looks like it's going to drop even more over the next 2 years. The Tamron is already $1450 Canadian, and Nikon is $2200 Canadian. Give it a year and they'll be $1700 and $2600 respectively, or something absurd.

This is not the answer you are looking for but I would personally look on kijiji for a used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC
Just what I would do.
Except few scares reviews I didnt hear or see anyone talking about this lens, this doesn't mean its a bad lens but for me the fact its not a popular lens already raises concern.
Another option is the Sigma, I know the older 24-70mm 2.8 were not too highly regarded but I think the current new model is actually not bad and not expensive.

Good luck

you should look into the Sigma 17-70mm

you should look into the Sigma 17-70mm
PaulWog uses a D750 FF sensor. I think the 17-70 is for APS-C sensors. Though correct me if I'm wrong.

The local used market isn't too great. Good Tamron lenses and Tokina lenses, and good Sigma lenses, all never show up for sale.

Best thing I found for sale was a Nikon 24-70 with everything but the receipt for $1200. I didn't jump on it because it seemed fishy. The seller was from the heart of a poor area, didnt have the receipt, and had the ad up for over a month.

The Tokina looks pretty good based on what I've seen. Only negative I've heard is audible autofocus. Very few reviews... Not sure why. But I didn't even know it was a lens. If Tokina made it look better and advertised...

Yeah, looking at our local kijiji I dont see used Tamron.

Maybe phone Henrys and ask them about a used Tamron.
I wanted a Nikon 85mm 1.8G for the longest time but didnt find the deal I was looking for, well I walked into a Henrys store to buy some cable and found this lens waiting for me in their used cabinet, no need to say I walked about the store with this lens, you never know what you can get there, all the time people buy and sell used stuff from Henrys and they are a solid source for Canadians.

Ontario is a far way away for pick-up only! I would never consider Sigma's 24-70. It's really a poor performer in my opinion.

I don't have a Henrys around me. The cheapest used options for a Nikon 24-70 from a proper reseller is $1450 + tax (with a 10% student discount it might come to a little less if they apply that to a 24-70).

I'm still really looking at the Tokina 24-70. It just seems like it's in that proper price range. I'm not sure though.

Ontario is a far way away for pick-up only! I would never consider Sigma's 24-70. It's really a poor performer in my opinion.

I don't have a Henrys around me. The cheapest used options for a Nikon 24-70 from a proper reseller is $1450 + tax (with a 10% student discount it might come to a little less if they apply that to a 24-70).

I'm still really looking at the Tokina 24-70. It just seems like it's in that proper price range. I'm not sure though.
Awesome, then good luck with the Tokina when you get it, I would love to hear from you if you get it how you like it :)

Still thinking on it currently. Trying to dig for more reviews, complaints, or anything in Google searches. A B&H review shows some serious focus breathing at somewhat close focus, and the worry could be that the lens just doesn't reach 70mm at all. I'm not sure what the case could be. The Tokina 17-35 at $450 is also quite tempting. I would order both at the same time but then I'd be broke.

Bumping this thread.

Also intrigued by this lens.

Love my tokina 11-16 DX (even on my FX camera at 16mm!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back